Kawasaki versus Honda

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Ben's Landscape, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Ben's Landscape

Ben's Landscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if i want a kawasaki or a Honda motor on my next mower. I am buying an eastman commercial. The Kawasaki is FJ180V and the Honda is XV160. What motor would you suggest??

Thanks. I believe the Honda is a little bit more.

Brief specs:

Kawasaki:
    Overhead Valve
    Forced Lubrication with redesigned oil pump
    Electronic spark ignition
    Automatic compression release
    Dual element air cleaner
    Rotating grass screen
    Internally vented carburetor
    Cast Iron cylinder liner and chrome plated piston rings
    Large sealed fan

Honda:
    Transistorized magneto ignition
    Horizontal type butterfly valve carburator
    Forced splash lubrication
    Dual element Air Cleaner

2. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

In my opinion.

Kawasaki's are found on a lot of good commercial equipment, and have earned there way to one of the top engine choices if the not the top most lawn maintenance guys want to have swinging there blades.

Of course in your case....

I have no idea what model kawi that is, and what an eastman mower is.

3. Ben's Landscape

4. Ben's Landscape

5. Heintooga

Heintooga LawnSite Member

I have a Snapper CRP216019KWV with the Kawasaki. I also have a commercial Honda 21". The only advantage in the Honda, for me, is the engine is quieter. The FJ180 is stronger and if you'l be cutting slopes, ditches, etc. the Kawasaki has the oil pump. Either engine will serve you well but my vote goes to Kawasaki.

6. mowerdude777

mowerdude777 LawnSite Silver Member

I have never used a kawasaki on a 21, but I have used a honda the honda is junk

7. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had both engines you speak of. I have used the honda gxv160 on a toro proline and a honda commercial unit. I've also used the kawasaki FJV180 on a toro. The honda is quieter, more fuel-efficient, less maintenance (due to the lack of an oil filter) but not as powerful as the kawasaki. I currently have a kawasaki FJV180 KAI series engine on my 2008 exmark metro 21". This is the best engine. It's quieter, smoother running and more fuel efficient than the original kawasaki FJV180 that was on a lot of the toro/exmark 21" built from 2004 to 2007.

8. kmzlawncare

kmzlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have Honda push mowers and they work good the thing that i like the most is no matter what they always start on the very first pull. As for kawasaki I've never used them.

9. Mike's LawnCare Landscape

Mike's LawnCare Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

First off this guy as no idea what he is saying !!!!!!!!!!!!

Both are good on my 21's they are all Honda !!!
    on my bigger mowers they are both Honda and KAW's
    love them all I even have a Honda trimmer that's a brute when I need it !!(But love REDMax blowers and trimmers )all other presser washers, mixers,sump pumps generators go to Honda , Even my bed edger is a Honda.
    But I have never run a KAW on a 21 . But I like both brands!!

10. Ben's Landscape

How do you like the Exmark Metro 21".

Is there any 21" mower that you would suggest??

This is my primary mower right now. I am working on building up accounts and equipment. I do a lot of small yards.

I don't mind spending $800 or so for a good quality mower. I want to have one for a long time.

Thanks for all of the responses!!