Kawasaki vertical shaft engine's red line?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by captken, May 6, 2004.

1. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Does any one know at what rpm the factory considers entering the yellow line [caution] and what rpm ithe factory considers intering the red line? [danger]

Want to increase the rpm's of my mower from 3300 upwards, does anyone have suggestions?

2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Can only suggest what has always been considered (by most) the optimum RPM.......... 3,650 under load. (some might say the higher the RPM, the less hours it will last)

I thought you had already adjusted your mower's RPMs up last week, and was impressed with the diff.

3. captken

However, I don't want to keep it set at 3600 unless I can know for sure that it will not harm the engine.

I have been swamped with too much work, and I intend to ask a mechanic as soon as I can about this.

However:

The temptation to dip into the rpm reserve may be the mowers undoing....

I just don't want to over speed my engine to the point of running into the caution in any situation.

So:

Just created a new post to see if there are any experts out there that know for sure and would care to comment.

I have done the Internet search to no avail...

I talked to a dealer about using a tiny tach to monitor the rpm's this may be routinely done, without the factories blessing....

Want to know the skinny on this...

I didn't turn the walkbehind up, they used to resonate at the same max. rpm's.

Just not used to the different pitch of the engine....

4. metro-hp_48

from TN

Don't be scared Captken. Just do a search here, If it makes you feel better. Here you go Ken, here's a reply from TLS, I just found doing a search here.

"How fast can you comfortably walk? This is why manufacturers make them only go 5-6mph. They dont count on sulky use. Plus most of these walkbehinds are too underpowered in the engine department to keep up with ZTR speeds while still cutting grass. If you did the larger tire size modification and your still not happy, then these other mods aren't going to make you much happier. My only other suggestion would be to increase engine RPM's. Make sure that they are AT LEAST 3650 NO LOAD. You can go higher, but I see entirely too many new mowers delivered spinning only 3450 RPM's."

Here's you a thread to read in the mean time.
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20910&highlight=3650

Just do a search on "3650". (Not my first time @ this rodeo, Ken)

5. metro-hp_48

from TN

.............................and after you do a search here, you'll see that it in no way affects your warrenty. BTW, if it's ghetto tough, why should it even cross your mind?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I talked to a dealer about using a tiny tach to monitor the rpm's this may be routinely done, without the factories blessing...."
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do what? I would dare to assume that the vast majority here use a Tiny Tach.........I know of many (me included).

6. captken

I'm sure that installing a tiny tach would never void any manufacturers warranty.

I was trying to tie in the installation of the tach with the process of increasing the engine's rpm from the factory preset.

Should have used two sentances.

Good thread you pointed me to....and

By the way, the friend on the phone who helped me to set it up was 65hoss.

He has always given me good advise....

I shoulda left it at that....