Kawasaki Vs Kohler Vs Honda

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Inman's lawn care, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Inman's lawn care

Inman's lawn care LawnSite Member

Which is the BEST??
    Will be powering a Hustler Mini Z 44" Deck.
    Kawasaki 19HP, Kohler 20HP, or Honda 24HP.

I am not familiar with Kawasaki or Honda.
    I need the best advice possible please.

Inman's Lawn Care
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

All 3 are very solid v-twin overhead valve engines.
    Will you be putting a catcher or mulch kit on the unit? the more hp the better when using either of them.
    Talk to your dealer a little, see which engine he prefers, it may make a difference in his parts stocking and your parts prices... such as maintenance items and such.

3. sicklid

sicklid LawnSite Member

I have a 44" Mini Z with the Kawasaki and I cut some thick sometimes wet St. Augustine and occasionally Bahia and it doesn't bog down at all.
  4. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

Think of the dealer you are going to purchase from. Many dealers feel more comfortable with certain engine brands because of either their suppliers or technical support. If the dealer stocks only Kaw and Honda, there is a reason for not selling the Kohler. You don't want to be his only customer out there with Kohler, your service and support could suffer.

From which dealers in Central Illinois are you shopping? I could help direct you based on the engine you would prefer.

Most of my dealers sell more 19 and 23 Kaw in the Mini Z. 20hp Kohler is coming on in my territory, but Kaw is still the king. The 24 hp Honda is nice and quiet, but runs lean and tends to surge and get tempermental in colder environments. Just my opinion.

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

With those 3 engines one brand is just as good as the other. Just get the one that your dealer prefers.
  6. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

I know of a dealer who may have a deal on a 19/44 Kaw Mini Z. Has black seat, I think. Brand new and still in the crate. Full warranty.

email me if your are interested stoltenbergdj@aol.com

OSDOTF LawnSite Member

As I've said before on this forum, over 2000 years of real-world experience proves Western Civilization's default rule:

"There is NO substitute for cubic inches!"

The Kawasaki is the least stressed of these three engines, pulling 19 hp from 41.2 cu in (same displacement as the 23 and 25). Honda's 24 has 40.9 cu in, but Kohler's 20 hp comes from 38.6 cubes. The three engines' peak torque characteristics mirror their relative displacements with the 19 hp Kawasaki churning out 37.0 ft lbs @ 2400 rpm. The Honda tops that by a half foot-pound but also needs an extra 100 rpm to get it done but the Kohler has to spin at 2600 rpm to make only 32.6 ft lbs.

As "black" said, these are all fine engines, and you won't be hurt if you stick with your personal preferences and/or prejudices while making your pick. If noise level is an overriding consideration, the Honda is noticeably quieter than the other two (and I also agree with black's other remarks concerning that engine).

But, when it comes to value and performance, the Kawasaki gets my vote every time.
  8. Inman's lawn care

Inman's lawn care LawnSite Member

Thank you all very much I have my mind made up now. I talked to the dealer they said get which ever we keep parts for all of them.

I am going with the Min Z 44" Kawasaki 19.

Thanks again for the GREAT advice.
    Inman's Lawn Care
  9. Jeds_Lawn_Care

Jeds_Lawn_Care LawnSite Senior Member

I am thinking about getting a hustler mini z. Let me know how you like the 19 hp Kaw.

What abouts did you pay for it?
  10. Gjohnson

Gjohnson LawnSite Member
    from La.

What about the 19HP Kawasaki FH580V KAI engine that is on my new Mini Z 42". The manual that came with the Mini Z says it is only 35.6 cu-in. Is this a commercial duty engine? How does it differ from the 19HP Kaw's on the regular Mini Z's?