Kawasaki vs Kohler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by knuckshemi, Mar 27, 2004.

1. knuckshemi

knuckshemi LawnSite Member

Can any one give the pros and cons on each of these units? My local Ferris dealer wants to charge $400.00 extra to go from a 25 Kawasaki to a 27 Kohler. Is the Kohler worth it? A friend of mine said that parts for the Kawasaki are very expensive. Any way want to get the most bang for the buck. Oh and one more question, is water cooled worth the extra money?

thanks again,
  2. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

I believe this will be debated until the cows come home .and if you do a search you will find plenty of opinions,I believe kawaski makes a better engine as there lifters arn,t so noisy as the kohlers,parts and the engine itself seems quiter than the kohlers. I feel parts are just as easy to get as kawi does not deal with distributors anymore .one thing I remember is that someone posted a long time ago is that kawi ,has built and builds alot of 2 and four cyle engines for various oems and for there own and kohler builds there 4 cycle engines ,along with there toilets and faucets
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

The major thing that I notice about a Kohler is that it runs smoother.
  4. amar

amar LawnSite Member

It was real ugley when Kohler had the EFI issues that Bosh fixed, also the lifters and head gaskets on the 25 hps. I was told that they now have much faster turn around time when an issue arises. I now have four Kaws and zero Kohlers however my next unit will have the 27 Kohler. By the way the 27 is the same as the 25 except for the carb. Same goes for the 17 Kaw and the 19 Kaw. The Kaw 25 seams to use less gas than the Kohler 25 and yes it is quieter.
  5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Ferris had Kaw on there 3000xt and 1000, Now there kohler if that says anything.
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have the 15 and 17 hp kawa and a 15 hp kohler. On thoose size engines in my opinion the kawa is much better. The kawa is much quieter and smoother (less vibrations) and have more torque. I dont own any the size you are speaking of. I have a 17hp water cooled kawa and I am pleased with it, Im not sure its worth the extra money, It has about 820 hours on it now and i quess time will tell as i get more hours on the air cooled engines and see how they compare
  7. thisismurph

thisismurph LawnSite Member

8. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

First in my area Kaw engines cost more than Kol. on any mower. Sorry but as far as durable there is no comparison. Kaw. all the way.
  9. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I own both, and pref. Kawi liquid cooled, then there air cooled. I also own Kohler and have had many prob with there vertical motors, but not as much with horizontal motors. Parts cost the practically the same for both IMO, but haven't bought many for the Kawi to compare with Kohler other than filters.
  10. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

I like Kawasaki too! I believe they are more technologically advanced than the Kohlers because of the racing they do. I'm not into teh kawasaki sport bike racing as i am auto, but i know they get alot of their new technology from racing. When an engine breaks down in a race, they tear it apart to see what the problem was. They fix it, make it better, thus a more dependable engine. You dont hear about Kohler being in any racing. My money is on Kawasaki!!

Oh, i would get the liquid cooled too!