Kawasaki

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by johnex, Apr 18, 2006.

1. johnex

johnex LawnSite Member

I have a Exmark mower with a 23 HP gas Kawasaki motor. I have changed both coils, and spark plugs but it still starts to miss when it warms up and gets worse the longer I run it. Any idea what else to check or replace?

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Air filter and fuel filter bad gas.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Have you ever checked valve adjustments ? About how many hours are on this unit ? Post the model and spec. numbers off the engine.

4. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Providing your air and fuel filters are clear, I'm leaning to Restro's solution or even possibly a carboned up valve that stick after expansion from combustion. Had one not to long ago that pushed the valve guide out.

Dutch

5. johnex

johnex LawnSite Member

The model numer is FH680V. It is missing on the left cylinder only so I guess I can rule out bad gas or filters. If a valve was sticking wouldn't you here it? I have about 300 hours on the engine. It is an uneven miss.

6. Restrorob

Not every time, What did you set coil air gap at ? Should be 0.008-0.016 I like to use 0.010 myself. Could be a speck of carbon stuck on a valve seat area. Below is the maintenance chart so the scheduled valve and combustion chamber maintenance is due.

Kaw. Maintance.JPG

7. johnex

johnex LawnSite Member

Thanks a bunch! I have the gap set at 10, will adjust valves and see if that helps.

8. johnex

johnex LawnSite Member

Does anyone have instructions for adjusting the valves? I have been to the Kawaski website, called my local dealer and no one seems to have or want to give me the info.

9. Restrorob

At your service......

Kaw. FH Valve Adjustment.JPG

10. johnex

johnex LawnSite Member

Restrorob can't thank you enough! You are more help than any one I have talked to.