1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki's cold ed...?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Turf Commando, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it me or do all pull start Kawasaki's dislike starting in cold /cooler air ...?
    Try to give mower a few min run every so often, but usually takes quite a few pulls...Joe
  2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure your choke is completely closing.
  3. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

ughhhh! my 12.5 kawi on my gravely 36"wb is a pain in the tater hole..I only have to pull it once to start..then...it peters out and takes 30more pull to restart it but then it runs great........till you shut it off and you start from the begining all over again
  4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Both my Kawi's (13 and 15hp) fire right up. Even in our zero degree weather. I tow the kids around behind the mower on their sleds and never have trouble...
  5. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

My electric start 21hp kawi on my ztr cranks rite up. Its the pull start that gives me a work out
  6. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

This seems to come up a lot, so here's my 2 cents. If you want to save your back and your starter and battery, a shot of ether seems to work on all of the Kawas, I don't know if it's the solid lifters or when you take the air filter off and look at the oil and gas buildup in the intake but a quick shot of ether seems to pop'em right off,seems to be the worst to restart after they have run and shutdown and try to restart, I've tried different valve clearance, changing carb settings, different carbs, not found a cure yet.
  7. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

if I got2 put anything more then 3 time something is wrong and start2 look for the problem. try a higher heat rank plug