Kawaski 25 hp vertical engine on Hustler Super Z popping and dead battery

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mx495, Aug 28, 2009.

1. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

Yesterday no problems. This moning dead battery, barely enough to turn little red light on by key. Tried jumper box, enough to turn over a couple turns a let out a HUGE backfire. Got a new battery, no problems for about 2 hours. Startin popping a few times at one job, finished no problem. Next job stats fine, when you put any load or move the throttle up fast pops and hesitates. 13.86 volts at the battry running. 12.6 right now sitting. Any ideas where to start? Bad coil that shorted out possibly? Thanks for any help.

2. ericg

ericg LawnSite Silver Member

When was the last time that you adjusted the valves on this engine?
    Valves that are out of adjustment will cause back firing. Once the engine is running did you check the battery voltage?

Eric

3. mx495

from MO

With it running full throttle 13.86.
    If it was the valves it wouldn't have killed the battery or started right after a dead battery, right?

4. ericg

ericg LawnSite Silver Member

I agree that you may have more than one problem. I believe that misadjusted valves will cause the backfire. 13.8 is good battery voltage so the dead battery is something non related.

Eric

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Move the throttle up and while it's popping/hesitating SLOWLY apply the choke, If it smooths out the carb most likely needs to be cleaned inside. A leaning carb can cause these symptoms and still crank just fine.

6. mx495

from MO

I'll try that.

7. mx495

from MO

That didn't work. It only pops or stumbles for a second and then clears up. With the blades on it runs rough the entire time. Thought maybe it was a coil, pulled each plug cap off one at a time and it just made it worse.

8. dicharry

dicharry LawnSite Member

There may be an anti-backfire solenoid at the base of the carb. Check out carb parts diagram. I don't know that this is the problem. It could well be something else. I'm new to the anti-backfire solenoid and it's full function. I do know it's a $100.00 + item, not to mention the repair time.

9. mx495

from MO

Aren't they either stuck on or off?

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

In most cases yes.....

Replace the spark plugs first and try it again, If it still acts up let it cool and check the valves as ericg mentioned;

[​IMG]