1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kawaski motor

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by RedWolf, Sep 24, 2006.

1. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Hey guys back again. I have a toro 21" push mower with the Kawasaki OHV(VMG6-131683). What it does it when its cold it with fire up but once hot it loses power and then shut down.If you choke it it will fire up but act like it has no power. Its like the carb is vapor locking.I have pulled the carb off cleaned it blew it out and rebuilt it. Its got me stumped.:confused:
  2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

have you checked the vent in the fuel cap? loosen it up a little and see if it runs better.
  3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Ignition coil perhaps?

Same thing happened on my stihl trimmer this year, I could choke it and get it to keep running with no power though. Granted they are two different beasts, sounds like ignition coil to me.
  4. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Thats what I thought too so while it was still hot I put my spark tester on it and it still has strong spark when hot.I have the kind of tester that plugs into the plug wire and then plugs on the plug. I work on my own stuff and what tools i dont have i get. Can you adjust the valves on this motor? I have a gut feeling thats what it is.I got the mower used and the last owner just beat the hell out of it and I dont think he ever changed the oil in it.
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Check the model and spec. numbers again, The ones you posted are no good.
    The model number will be two letters, three numbers then a letter on the end.
  6. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

The only two Kawi's I could think of are the FC150V and the FJ180V the 180V had some head gasket issues, but will need the correct #'s to know for sure.
  7. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Those are the only numbers on it.On top of the recoil starter it has a sticker that has OHV GTS on it.I have looked in other places for more numbers but the numbers i gave you guys is the only numbers i could find.
  8. MowerMedic77

9. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

the two on the bottom are like what I have.my mower looks older than those.
  10. MowerMedic77

Both of them have the FJ180V engine on the base RH side of the engine there should be a sticker/bar-code these are the #'s we need, if they are still there.