Kawi 12.5 with Oil in Carb?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by khutch, Dec 17, 2004.

1. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Noticed this for a while - Guess it's time to ask if it is a problem or not.
    I have always seen a small bit of oil in the carb throat when I remove the air filter on my Metro/12.5 Kawi.
    Is this normal?
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Probably not. It really depends upon how old or new your unit is. A very new engine will often not only show some oil in the carb but also some oil smoke in the exhaust. This is simply part of the breaking in of the engine. Older engines can show these same symptoms as they begin to wear. Think of it like this. When an engine is new it often doesn't have a real good seal on the rings, valves and other components. As the engine breaks in (a better term may be wears in) these components begin to seal properly. As the wear continues over time and use these components may no longer seal properly. That's about as technical as things get.

There can be other causes. A plugged air filter or pre-cleaner are probably the most common causes for oil in the carb. Your engine is nothing more than a big air compressor or an iron lung. It pulls air in it pushes air out and continues inhale and exhale as the engine spins. It becomes an engine when we add fuel and spark in the middle which makes a big bang and now we have power. If the engine can't draw air into the cylinder because there is too much restriction at the air filter it will often draw air (containing oil vapor) in from the crank case depositing oil in the carb.

Other causes can be crank case vents, seals etc.

Sorry for the long explanation but I'm in the middle of a long boring report for the guys at the top of the totem pole and I needed the break.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

All my kawi motors have always had that little puddle in them from day 1. It never hurt anything and all did it, so I haven't worried about it.
  4. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you Hoss, thank you Terry.
    BTW, this is a 2004 engine with about 400 hours.
    No worries.