Kawi engine skip

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by itteitj, Nov 2, 2007.

1. itteitj

itteitj LawnSite Member
    from RI

I have a Kawi fh601v 19 hp with 964 hrs. This engine has always run good. I developed a skip in the engine with a loss of power while trying to mow. I think it may be fuel related or electrical. I flushed carb with cleaner and drained 1 tank and refilled with fresh gas. I also want to mention that this engine has had 2 sets of coils during its life. The skip sounds a lot like when I replaced the coils but want to be sure before ordering new ones. Also I did not take carb apart this time or drain the carb bowl. I would appreciate any advice as to how to proceed and what to check next. If I failed to post any info please advise. :confused:
    Thanks
    Tom

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

With the engine running pull each plug wire one at a time (with rubber handle pliers), If you pull one and the engine dies the other side may not be firing. Check that side for spark while cranking over the engine to verify before installing a new coil.

3. itteitj

itteitj LawnSite Member
    from RI

I performed coil test as recommended and while engine was running I pulled right plug wire and nothing happened and then pulled left plug wire and engine stalled. If this means a bad coil, should I get 2 or just the bad one. What makes the coils die?. Thanks.
    Tom

4. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes - replace that coil. It's your problem. A big culprit of coil failure is heat.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I would just replace the one bad one, Jason is right with the heat being the issue. Kawi just uses a cheap made coil I suppose, Have never seen another engine eat coils like Kawi's.

6. itteitj

itteitj LawnSite Member
    from RI

The new coils arrived and I installed them. The engine runs very well. I decided to go with 2 new ones and now I have a spare. This mower is my oldest "Z" and is set up with a blower and rear bagger. This is the time of year that I really need it up here is southern new england. As usual, thanks for the help.
    Tom

7. itteitj

itteitj LawnSite Member
    from RI

Well, I ran the machine less than 4 hours and the right side coil failed again. So I think something is causing the coil to burn out. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :confused::confused:
    Tom

8. itteitj

itteitj LawnSite Member
    from RI

Correction, It was the left side coil that failed both times. The right side is fine.
    Tom

9. EMJ

EMJ LawnSite Member

Switch the coils and see if the problem follows. If it does then it is the coil. If not you have some other problem.

10. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a cooling problem. Anything blocking the airflow?