Kawi FH 680 V Govenor problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Dan1944, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

I just replaced the crankcase gasket due to a oil leak which I know is a common problem with these motors. I replaced one on my other motor about 2 years ago with no problem and it is running leak free. This one however after replacing the gasket ,oil seal and governor arm seal and putting every thing together has a governor arm that does not work. Is it possible when I inverted the crankcase cover to place it on the block that the governor activator plate somehow swung in the opposite direction and now is not on the governor assembly activator ? Motor starts and runs but there is no governor rod movement.

Thanks

2. Jeff in AL

Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

If I recall correctly, the Governor Shaft cannot be turned 180 degrees in the wrong direction when installing the sump because the "fork" would bind when installing the sump... Not 100% sure though...

Can you turn the Governor Shaft at all?

Did you adjust the Governor after reassembly?

3. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

Shaft moves freely when turning it by hand with the arm off. Starting the motor and manually operating the throttle linkage at the carburetor from idle to full throttle produces no governor shaft motion. Other then putting on the governor plate wrong I don't see where I could have screwed anything else up. I will remove the motor and crack it open again.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Jeff..... The fork will clear turned 180 out and pan will go right on, But no governor action......

5. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

Thank You ! A ray of HOPE !

6. Jeff in AL

Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Ahh, ok, couldn't remember...

I have a great memory, but it's short! :laugh:

7. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

Just cracked it open , So much easier this this time :rolleyes:
    The governor shaft plate was 180 degrees out and was never able to contact the governor assembly. Just as I surmised when I went to install the bottom crank case the plate was hanging vertical and in jockeying the case to line up the oil pump gears it got caught on the wrong side when the two cases mated. NOT going to happen this time !

Thanks Guys for the advise !

8. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Just thought I would add to this. Make sure you are using the new better material gasket. Last I checked the old gasket was still available which is stupid on their part but whatever. The improved one is carbon fiber or something...more durable, less leaks...yada yada.