kawi leaking oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bobcatnj, May 26, 2006.

1. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

my kawi engine on my bobcat 48 wb is leaking oil. it looks like it coming from under the crank case cover. could it be a gasket? i checked all the bolts and they were tight.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Read the second thread in this forum and post numbers so we can see what engine you have.

3. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I've had the sump gasket leak on the FB460 (12.5 HP). It's a gasket that goes around the whole bottom of the engine. You have to remove the engine to replace it.

4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

replace the pto crank seal while you have it torn down

5. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

do your crank seals

6. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

its the 14 hp 420 model. is that a big job changing all that? is it worth it or should i sell it. because i was looking to sell that at some time and get a floating deck w/b

7. LazerZHP

LazerZHP LawnSite Member
    from Maine

When I thought the crank seal was leaking on my 20 horse kohler,turned out to be the kohler oil filter leaking this was last season switched filter brands and leak was gone.I recently tried a oem filter and had leaking again,Dont know whats going on with the kohler filters but they are junk in my opinion.So you might want to check your filter area to see if maybe it is leaking from there if it is oil leaks down under motor and gives a false impression of bad crank seal.I have had good luck with Wix filters not leaking.