Kawi Motor on my YAZOo problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Amco Landscaping, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Amco Landscaping

Amco Landscaping LawnSite Member

I bought an older 48" yazoo with a 12hp kawisaki motor. It has some trouble starting. When it does start it idles weird. The idle goes up and down. Anybody have any ideas

Matt

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

First check and make sure the choke butterfly is closing ALL the way, That could be the hard start part. It sounds like the carb. could use a tear-down and cleaning with carb. & choke spray cleaner for the hunting idle.
    Shoot the cleaner thru all ports and passages then reassemble.

3. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

This should be repaired ASAP.
    If your motor is surging at idle or any other time, or as Rob stated, "hunting idle", it will eat your carb.
    What I mean, is that your throttle shaft bushing will wear away in, like, probably 1 season, such that the carb can not be rebuilt, thereby resulting in the need for a new carb. Think about it; the only way your engine can rev up and down, is when the throttle is opening and closing, with rhythm. Even though I'm a white boy, I can still recognize rhythm.:clapping: :clapping: And that bushing can not be replaced. Or am I mistaken on this guys? Please advice if I have, for one reason or another, posted an incorrect response.

4. Restrorob

OK Jimbo, Your right about the throttle shaft. _BUT_ not only the throttle shaft can be worn but the throttle linkage, governor arm, governor shaft and governor gear also. It causes premature wear on all these moving parts. While a "hunt" at idle speed is not good it is not as critical at idle because most all people do not mow at idle.

The critical area is high speed, A high speed "hunt" not only wears the above parts but causes premature wear on the crank bearings and rod bearing(s) (intermittent load) which in time will cause a complete engine failure.

So it is really best to do what ever repair needed to reduce a "hunting" situation as to not cause any premature wear.

5. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

My 36 surges like that at Idle only. Runs fine from idle up. Now my Kohler will surge at almost and full throttle.ch22

6. Restrorob

Do as per post #2 or suffer the consiquences......

7. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Couldn't the governor not adjusted properly? Because it doesnt surge when the blades are on. The carb has already been rebuilt a few months ago. It was soaked in carb cleaner for 2 days as well. That thing was spotless. Yes I also sprayed carb cleaner in every hole there was.

8. Restrorob

OK Chad, Try this.....Start the engine and set the throttle where it will start hunting, While hunting start applying the choke very very slowly and post back the results of what the engine does.

9. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

if its an fb460v it sould have and idle adjustment screw on top of the carb try turning that out alittle (enrich) and see if it smoothes out the idle if not try turning it in (leaner)

like they said to fix the starting you proboly just have to adjust the throttle cable so it closes the choke all the way i had to do that to mine when i got it and now it startes on the 1st or 2nd pull every time