Kawi or Kohler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Krafty, Jan 19, 2010.

1. FastMan

FastMan LawnSite Senior Member

When you think about that literally, it seems rather phobic. :)

2. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i have a kawi and love it but i have never had a kohler to compare it to

3. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Have 1 kohler, 1 kawi. The kohler is a little harder to start in the cold but other than that, not much difference other than hp.

4. Thunderhead

Thunderhead LawnSite Senior Member

I was faced with the exact same decision.

Although they are both good engines, from the research I found, the Kawasaki seems to be the better brand of the two. So thats what I went with.

Thunderhead:)

5. motorscot

motorscot LawnSite Member

Keep the $2000 in your pocket and get the demo with the Kohler. It's Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge and you really can't go wrong with either engine.

6. mx315

mx315 LawnSite Senior Member

I have 3 of each brand ranging from 19hp to 31hp on my Hustler's. I've had good luck with both brands and no problems with either. I'm in the market for a newer super Z now and would buy either brand, as long as the hp and price are right.

7. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I have both. I would never pay more for a Kaw. They are both good engines. There are horror stories with both as well. I would rather buy Kohler since Im a Christian and not Buhdist. Think about that awhile boys.

8. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

The 30 hp Kohler used to be a stoked 25/27 hp Kohler with a two-barrel carb. I investigated it as a replacement motor, and found that it had relatively bad reliability. The 25/27 hp kohlers are better thought of. I bought one, and am well satisified with it's reliabilty ad fuel economy (burns less than 1 gph on a 52" Stander). My only complaint is the specialty muffler used for Standers (it is louder than the standard canister mufflers).

9. mx315

mx315 LawnSite Senior Member

Olde Blue, that actually helps me out too. I was looking at a 60 Z and the guy said it was a 25hp Kohler, he emailed me the model and serial... it's a 27hp Kohler. I was thinking the 25 would be too small for a 60" Z, but seriously thinking about buying it now. Is the 27 a small bore engine or would that be considered a big block?

10. brianslawncare

brianslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

kawi all the way i have four of them 15/17/23/27 hp no issues with them! my friend has three kohlers and he cut 80yards per week and said when the weather gets cold the kohlers are hard to start and they use more gas! but from my experience i would not look at a kohler unless the price was right. good luck. this thread has more good things about kawi than bad.