Kawi spitting oil out filler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darryl G, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

My 17 HP Kawasaki is spitting oil out the top of the oil fill cap. Could this be caused by an uneven idle (low speed jet is clogged again-darn it)? Will this cause the oil to splash?

It's not loosing a lot and it only seems to happen when I'm bagging and idle it down to dump.

2. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

I am confused, is your oil fill cap not screwed on tight? Are you overfilling your engine? Could it be you cross threaded the fill cap.

Give us more info....

3. Darryl G

The fill cap is on tight, not overfilled, not cross threaded. I noticed there's no gasket seal of any sort on the cap, so pulled one out of a new machine at the dealer and no gasket on that one either. I presume one isn't needed because the oil isn't supposed to be there in the first place.

4. My 23hp has an O-Ring in the filler cap. My 17hp has the same thing, but it won't stay put in the cap. When I take the cap off, the O-Ring sits on top of the filler-tube. If I'm not careful that thing will drop off the top the filler-tube one of these days.

That still doesn't explain what's happening on your engine. I can't think of a logical reason oil is getting up to the top of that tube with enough pressure to move past those threads.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You can check the vent tube that goes to the air cleaner. A small critter may have decided that it was the perfect size to make a cocoon in.

6. Darryl G

Thanks guys. Maybe my O ring fell off when I wasn't looking and same with the one at the dealer. I'll check the vent.

I'll also pull the carb and clean it when I get a chance.

Does anyone else have problems with the low speed jet clogging?

I guess I just want to make sure that this isn't indicative of a more serious problem.

7. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, our 17 kawi does the same thing, I don't why? Its done it for about a year now, it does'nt do it to bad so we never bothered...Maybe they will recall the dipstick on that model...lol right!:rolleyes:

8. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

My 17 Kawi has no o-ring on the cap either. When it was new (last spring) I went back to the dealer because I thought I got a bad cap but the dealer checked every 17 he had and not one had an o-ring. For the record my 14hp Kawi has an o-ring on it.