Kawi to Kohler engine swap problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by daveslandscaping, Aug 30, 2005.

1. daveslandscaping

daveslandscaping LawnSite Member

Ok. So my Kawi FC420V seized for the third time, so i finally bought a new motor for my 48" Scag Hydro. Went with a 15 HP Kohler pro series with a 15 amp alternator incase i decide to switch to PTO down the road. It has provision for electric start, but i stuck with the recoil. My kawi had 2 electrical connections, one was a connector by the dipstick and the other was a wire that just bolted to the shroud. With the new motor there is no connector by the dipstick, so that one is not connected, but i did bolt the other wire to the shroud. Motor starts up and runs great, but doesn't stop when i turn exising key to off. Tried grounding my dead end wire on the block all over, but still doesn't stop. There is a 2 lead connector coming out of the shroud, but i assumed this was for the alternator. Spark plug boot is already getting worn out from pulling it off to stop the motor....need help fast. Do i just need a new ignition switch or am i missing something. Thanks....dave

2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

do you have electrical diagrams for both motors. sounds like extra wire was kill wire. not sure exactly how to fix it unless i saw it in person. only familiar with bigger kohlers. fixer67 would be the one to ask. pm him if he doesnt post here shortly.
    good luck

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Is one of those two wires white by chance ? Kohler uses a white lead coming from the coil for shut down, Connect your wire that was by the dipstick on the old engine to the white lead and that should do it.

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

If you post the spec number I should be able to get you a wiring schematic for that engine. The white wire is the kill wire in most cases with Kohler. Kohler likes using purple for the battery charger put put lead for the voltage regulator. If you are unsure remove the blower housing and see what wire goes to the coil. If you put power to the kill lead by mistake you will burn the coil out and have to replace it.

5. fixer67

see if this helps any. Note that this photo shows all the add ons that can come with the engine like auto choke whichs yours may not have. but it may be close enough to help. post the spec numbers and I may be able to get a better wire drawing for you

kohler 1.JPG

6. Restrorob

I read this as being a rope start unit No battery ?

7. daveslandscaping

The motor is the CV15T 41582 on this site. http://www.tulsaenginewarehouse.com/catalog/kohler/vertical/cv15.html I am currently at school so i cannot view the motor, but i think from the information you guys gave i should be able to tell whats what if i pull the shroud this weekend when i am home (don't kno how i didn't think of this b4). A wire diagram would be greatly appreciated as an aid. I think Kohler is a great company, but i was pretty disappointed with the lack of documentation that came with the motor....oh well. Thanks for the help guys, if i can't figure it out i'll throw up a new post with some more detail.

8. daveslandscaping

yea. it has provisions for electric start, but both the original and replacement are being used with rope start. Any chance the ignition switch harness for the kawi is not compatible with the kohler, or can it def be made to work?

9. Restrorob

A kill switch is a kill switch, Not likely that will be a issue. Just locate the white lead and hook her up.

10. fixer67

OK, if the engine is a CV15 then the drawing I posted is the right drawing it just shows a few things your engines does not have. The drawing shows a CV15 with all the add ons like electric start and fuel solenoid and auto choke and such. Not many CV15 engines would come with every thing shown in the drawing. The white wire is the kill lead. If not else just rig a toggle switch for the kill switch for now until you can do better. OK here is a edited drawing with the things you are saying yours does not have removed. I guess it was a case of too much information. Sorry about the information overload.

kohler 2.JPG