kawi trouble starting after getting wet

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ajordan193, Jul 28, 2006.

1. ajordan193

ajordan193 LawnSite Senior Member
    from WNY

I've noticed that every time i either hose off the mower or get caught in the rain the engine won't start back up or either stalls. (19hp kawi on a scag tiger cub) Any ideas on whats going on here? Also this happens if i barely get the engine wet.

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

No gaurantee, but I would blow off the spark plug wires and recesses with compressed air or blower. Works for me.

Dutch

3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have this complaint alot on these kawi engines pull both plug boots and add some dielectric grease to the boots. Hope this helps:)

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You may want to check into this;
    Had a customer with the same engine and same problem, Every time he got caught in the rain it wouldn't start afterwords. I pulled the air filter and found water in the bottom of the air filter base, Blew it out and it cranked up. I put O-rings on the cover hold-down nuts and he hasn't complained since. Just make sure the O-rings fit the recess area on the nut and protrude enough to seal.

5. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

When I have had this problem it was always a sing to me that the plug wires/boots were cracked. And it was not long until I would need a new coil.

6. ajordan193

ajordan193 LawnSite Senior Member
    from WNY

Thanks for the replys i'll try some of your ideas tomorrow