kawis on super duty and mini z

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by foyman, Feb 14, 2008.

1. foyman

foyman LawnSite Member

Am looking at the base models of the fast trak super duty (23 kawi/48") and mini z (21 kawi/ 48"). The fast trak is lighter and less expensive, yet it has a bigger, more powerful motor. Please help me understand why. :confused:

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

21/48 ??
    We have a 19/48 and 21/54 FasTrak, a 23/48, 25/54 and 25/60 Super Duty FasTrak,all of which use the Kawasaki engines.
    The FasTrak's and Super Duties utilize a integrated commercial hydro axle per wheel, not a pump and wheel motor system such as our Mini Z 52" unit.
    Less cost and less weight.
    What type of cutting do you do? commercial or for just home use?
    If commercial how much and what type of properties? full time 5 days a week?
    Let me know and I can help point you in the right direction.

3. wannabamower

wannabamower LawnSite Member

I was wondering which model would be better for me. I'm looking at 52" or 54" either Fastrak Super Duty , Mini Z, or Super Mini. I mow about 30 hours a week to the most and it is mainly residential. But I'm afraid that I will out grow it.

4. foyman

foyman LawnSite Member

I am small commercial working out of my residence. Currently cutting 3 properties that total 6 acres...some flat, some with pretty good slope, gopher problems, so terrain is some what bumpy.

I understand your point regarding the super duty 23/48 (hydro-gear zt2800) and the mini z 19/44 (hydro-gear bdp10/white ce 12) but the bottom line is the super duty is approximatly 150 lbs lighter yet has a larger kawi. That's not bad, and maybe that's just how they rolled off the line. Having said that I can't help but wonder why the lighter unit has the larger motor. Could the 23 kawi be built to less expensive design specs that could impact overall performance (i.e. max rec hp and torque) and expected life?

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

What type of properties?
    Hills and slopes?
    How many hours are you actually running the mower?
    I am guessing your going to either want to get the Super Duty 54 or the 19/52 Mini Z, both will get the job done, but if your going to be putting actual 30 hours mowing time on the mower per week I would lean towards the 19/52 or a Super Mini.
    Whats your budget?

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Super Duty is a newer model, different drive system and such...
    They both use the same deck.
    The design difference in the units and the use of the ZT2800's is the reason for the weight difference.
    As to the engines, both are commercial series Kawasaki's, both great engines from the same family / series from Kawasaki.
    When we went to the Super Duty series we wanted to put a engine on there that would be plenty for the applications its being used in, the 19/44 is adequate for the applications it is in also.
    What type of pricing are you getting on the 19/44??

Pj

7. foyman

foyman LawnSite Member

The 19/44 is being quoted @ $6500. The flex forks $200. Should I be able to do better? payup

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

That would be the going rate.