1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kawisaki engine bad on toro??? suggestions please. took 60 pulls to get started!!?!!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DillonsLawnCare, Sep 4, 2007.

1. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

hi, ive got a 2003 toro with a 17hp Kawisaki FH500V w/ recoil. its been giving me problems ever since i bought it form a guy last fall. the guy was really hard on it and left it out in the rain many nights. i bought it for $1850. its got about 150 hours on it!!! its taking me about 25-30 pulls to get it started. it took 60 pulls today. ive repaired the clutch/choke,rpm adjuster/pulleys and ive had the guys at the shop look over it very well. i posted another thread earlier. here it is. it explains a little more, with some feedback.

i need help. i checked the plugs and the filter and the choke and they are all fine. people say its the carb. where is that located? is it something i can order/do? or do i have to take that sucker in again?:confused:

2. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

If you don't know where the carburator is then you couldn't have checked the choke, so you don't know if it is fine.

If you know where the air cleaner is then you can follow it to the carburator inlet. There is a rubber hose that connects from the air cleaner to the inlet of of the carburator. You need to remove this to check the choke.

Bottom line, from your other postings and this one you might be best to just take it in to someone to fix for you.

Best of luck,

Eric D:walking:
  3. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

I don't understand how you checked the choke, but don't know where the carb is? The choke is IN THE CARB!
  4. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

i figured it out. sorry for my ignorance.
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You need to check the choke butterfly as EricD stated, It is very important that this closes FULLY....

Watch for a PM......