Kawisaki leaking oil into #1 cylinder

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnmaniac883, May 25, 2006.

1. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Ok so I go to start up my 44z after 4 days of sitting and guess what? You got it, MAJOR oil inside the left cylinder. Cloud of smoke filled the garage up. Pulled both plugs and the left plug is covered in oil. What is wrong here???

Kawasaki FH500V S#43
    Called my dealer and no answer, this engine is almost two years old with 207 hours on it. I'm thinking a bad head gasket but oil level is fine so it is not burning when up to temp. This sh!t aint gonna fly, if my dealer doesnt answer his phone I'm buying a new mower. Gonna go ahead and run it and hope for the best today. Anyone have an answer?

2. lawnmaniac883

Not burning a noticable amount of oil when up to operating temps...

3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

You say it is not smoking as much at operating temp just at cold start up?
    All 4 cycle engines burn oil, but if you are not seeing large loss at the dipstick, and or constant smoke while running, then you may have an exhaust valve guide seal that is bad on that head.

4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

thats better than my kawasaki, but of course I had a sportbike, not a mower. threw 2 rods, one damaged the bottom of the cylinder liner, the second one destroyed the engine case. uh huh, happy as a freakin pig thats knee deep in s--t NOT.

5. lawnmaniac883

I was thinking along those lines because when it is warm, the metal expands and no seepage right? That sucker must have let 2oz of oil into the combustion chamber though. Cloud of smoke like no other. Its going to the dealer saturday if they decide to answer their f#$%kin phone. Are these press in seals or is a new head gonna need to be ordered?? :cry: