KB grass color question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dwost, Aug 19, 2007.

1. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

This may seem silly but I'm a bit concerned that my KB is not showing it's full color. What I mean by that is it has no blue/green tint to it at all. Don't get me wrong, it is green and quite lush but it's more of a lighter lime green than the dark greenish blue that I was expecting. What started me questioning this is looking at my neighbors yard that just came out of the drought and is rye grass, his is a much darker shade of green. I did a full renovation last year and used Lesco Quality blue blend. I had great germination and it really took off this spring but I'm not really satisfied with the color. Maybe I'm nuts but I was hoping for a really dark green/blue tint throughout the growing season. As a side note, I've fertilize regularly using Lesco and their recommended application plan. I also just did a liquid iron/manganese app about two weeks ago and it still looks the same. Am I missing something here?? Let me know if I'm overreacting for nothing :)

2. Different kbluegrass varieties have different shades of green.

3. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

I don' know your weather history. It's very hard to keep a mostly bluegrass lawn in tip top shape during heat and HIGH humidity. You almost always will need fungicide and be very aware of watering as little as possible. Raising the cutting height as little as a quarter inch will help dramatically. As for the green lawn that just came out of drought.....do the same to your lawn...lol....it will be just as dark and green with a hint of blue. There usually aren't any disease or insect issues on a dormant lawn.....like starting from scratch.

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I totally agree with timturf and mdlwn1. Especially the comment regarding a mere 1/4 inch can make a huge difference. I'm not a huge ryegrass fan (and neither is Ohio State University -- see 'Rust' on their website). Kentucky bluegrass is a "very forgiving grass" (Iowa State University), so I'm sure it will come around soon.

You can always overseed with other cultivars of Kentcky blue -- best time is late August thru early Sept -- we either double aerate or power rake when doing so. Dragging the lawn after also helps (section of chain-link fence).

We're going to start seeding tomorrow (same time as most "goff" courses here).

5. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

6. dwost

Thanks guys for the comments. I have a couple more items to add and some pics that may help out.

Timtom, first off here is what I used to overseed http://www.lesco.com/?PageID=27&ItemNumber=001715 It doesn't have the breakdown on seed types but I have the label laying around somewhere so I'll try to find it.

mdlawn, I totally agree and been vigilant about using my irrigation system most effectively and try to water correctly. Unlike every other homeowner around here that run their systems for 20 minutes/zone daily I don't. Mine is hooked up to a rain sensor and is set to go off for 1.5 hours/zone every 5 days only if we are under 1" of rain. I have 9 zones which equates to over 13 hours of run time but to me it's worth it to have the best yard in the hood. I've also calabrated all the heads with different inserts to ensure even coverage on all the areas. I keep it to around 1" per week throughout summer, even during the hot spells. I usually let the grass start to show signs of stress when it gets hot before starting in on the irrigation.

I've never had an issue with fungus (knock on wood) and keep up with a fert regimen as well as aeration in the spring/fall. I'm going to do a soil test in spring next year to ensure that all the micro nutrients are up to snuff, etc....

As for cutting height, I start the season off at 3" and then move to 3.5" - 4" for the remainder of the year. I'm currently cutting at 3.5". I've heard that KB is best around 2.5 but I'm leery of dropping down that low.........that is unless it makes it more blue? LOL :)

Ant, that is some great info, thanks for posting that. I'll cross reference that with the label once I find it.

It may just be the seed type and my area, who knows!! At any rate, here are a few shots from late June, the color is very similar. Just to note, I'm not complaining at all about my yard, only for the fact that I wish it were a shade or two deeper in color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Nice lawn!

I guess I should be complaining also as my lawn is not really the shade of BROWN that I want. I wish it was light brown with some green in it....but it is dark brown right now and getting worse!!! LOL!

From,

Drought USA

8. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Your lawn looks about as good as it's gonna right now. But, as long as we're all being fussy, this is what I see in the pics. Back off on the water as soon as you have the opportunity. The mower tires are starting to rut...giving you higher cut greener grass under the wheels and a shorter cut (less green) in the middle. The shades look great, but maybe move them over just enough to get out of the ruts. 3 inches should get those wheels up a little higher...effectively raising the height. As for blue looking good at 2.5......that's where it becomes art .....cutting at 7 day intervals just won't do it. Almost any grass (northeast) can be cut as low as you want if you cut when it needs it (every 2nd..3rd..day) and remember that due to the added stress you WILL need a few fungus apps and a precise, light, and even hand with the fert. I cut with a reel mower every 4th or 5th day between 5/8 and 1 inch......and you can see every bit of everything. 3 fungicides....5-7 ferts .5lbs n/1000. The best advice I was ever givin..."never try to make every single blade green".........now I'm rambling

9. dwost

rcreech, LOL, yeah I know I should just shut up and be happy. :)

MD. thanks for the tips. I do agree fully with your logic. My sprinklers are actually shut off because we are getting hammered with rain. Once it lets up and I have to start watering again I'll back off on it. I should clarify, I agree that it looks rutted out in those pics, however I should clarify they were snapped about two days after very heavy rains. The ground was still quite moist, hence the rutting. Since they were taken I did move over the cuts to even it out and I also do cut different directions each mow. I actually cut every 3rd day religiously (sometimes every 2nd during high growth spurts much to my wifes chagrin) so cutting it often is a non issue but I'm not sure I want to hassle with the fungicide apps, etc.. Sounds like I'm splitting hairs for nothing. Thanks all for the help and advice!

10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

dwost,

So you are one of those dirty dogs up there getting all the rain! I have heard you guys have been getting a ton up there! Since we can't get any rain hopefully all yours will atleast move down here and get our creeks going again!

They are calling for a bunch of rain for us tonight....but I am not holding my breath!