kbg fert requirements

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Trav, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Trav

Trav LawnSite Member

Client has 13 acres to fertilize, in the bid sheet it states they want 25,000 lbs of fertilizer put down in 5 applications. That is the only specification. This has to be a mistake, what would be an appropriate amount per year? This is KBG , Utah cool dry area. I understand N req is any where between 2-4 per k , possibly a little higher if it is sandy soil but what would be a good range in pounds? N P K ratio is usually 4-1-2 Thanks for any help. Trav

2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

It's right on the money if the fertilizer you're using is a 10-2-5 formulation.

It'd be better if they specified an exact amount of N and K (& P if required) to be applied each year. 100 50# bags/round seems like a lot, but it all depends on analysis.

3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

If you used good ole' 12-12-12, 5000# per app would get you about 1#N per K. The specs probably came from someone in the past charging for 5000# per app, LOL.

Most KBG here does well with 3.5 to 4.5#N per year. But some special varieties need 6#N/K per year.

I can't advise on this one, because I would walk away from it. If someone is going to specify anything about grounds management, without detailed noting of cultural requirements, they are just looking for the cheapest quote. If someone wants to go with 25,000 lb of 8-2-5, wouldn't that satisfy the specs and beat out anyone else using a decent fertilizer?

4. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Question. They going to come out and weigh/count the bags every time you apply? :angel:

Mark

5. Trav

Trav LawnSite Member

Thanks for your help guys, I do mainly liquid applications and there is no way to put that kinda poundage without going with a lower N source. Thanks again