Keen BusinessStrategy?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by dmk395, Nov 26, 2002.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Build a business on your own back which can keep 2 people busy. Hire the 2 best people you can find, replacing oneself, by paying the best wages. Transform yourself into a partime worker, then eventual fulltime manager and sales person.......fiction or reality/

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally I likr the work so much that I would sayDo the work yourself with them but don't hire wiseass slackers I've done that. You DONT wanna hire anyone that will take your money and not do good work. I'd say hire some guys you trust and the one you trust w/your life can watch the business when your gone. Just one's opinion Good Luck -Chris:D

3. Andrew S

Andrew S LawnSite Member

I don't know about being a full time manager, but if you have some good employees taking the odd day off to enjoy yourself is not a sin.

However to help your employees perform better I feel that it is important for the boss to set the standard and lead by example.:D

4. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

I would say that is very much a reality and a small part of a "business plan"

5. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I am at this very point. I have two good helpers that want to continue in the spring. One actually has been a lead person for a landscaping crew. I have thought about getting a trailer rigged with a couple of walkbehinds and the rest, and let them go to work each day.

But I think the problem would be the productivity. When they work with me, I still have to direct them at times. Also, sometimes I drop a helper off at a property to work while I go do another one close by. This only happens when the first place has only enough work for one man to do, like push mow. There have been times when I’ve come back expecting the job to be completed, when it is only half done. I know he had been goofing off while I was away. I’ve also been thinking about offering a production bonus to provide an incentive to work harder when I wasn’t around. For me, this will be an over-winter project to sort out.

6. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

can be done, but i don't believe just the two man crew will net you all that much, if you are just managing. it will take a couple crews to require full time management anyway IMO

7. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely a reality! In the midst of the transformation and it's exiciting as all get out! But you can't stop at two.

8. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

Good Plan, But, If you have enough work to keep 2 men busy, Who does the new work your selling? If ya have a 2nd part time crew to do the new work, are they making enough money to keep them loyal to the job? Just questions. Good employees are my biggest problem, but that is true of every business.

9. Andrew S

Andrew S LawnSite Member

I suppose you will never never know unless you have a go .If it is not what you thought it would be you can always go back to a one man show.

thanks

Andrew:cool: