1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Keep breaking anti scalp wheel axle/bolts?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by beaver29, Sep 30, 2006.

1. beaver29

beaver29 LawnSite Senior Member

I keep breaking my anti scalp wheel axle/bolts PJ. I have broken 3 this year all on the rear of the deck. Can you give me any solutions to solve this problem?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

What hole do you have them set in? are they to low? hitting things to easily maybe?

Pj

3. beaver29

beaver29 LawnSite Senior Member

I run them in the middle hole. My buddy has a super z and he is running them in the same hole as me. Should I pick them up a hole?

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Drill the wheel and mounting hole out to 5/8" and change bolts. The deck is too heavy for 1/2" bolts.

5. Walker Lawn's

Walker Lawn's LawnSite Member

I was breaking the front bolts I found out by putting an 1/2" longer bolt and letting the wheel have a little room to move side to side it stop my problem
    don't know if it will work on the rear.

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I would try them there, see what happens.

Pj

7. jcltyson

jcltyson LawnSite Member

I was breaking these left & right. I changed the original grade 5 bolts to grade 8 bolts and haven't had one break since.

8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

PJ, Why does Hustler not use the two sided mounting bracket to enclose the anti scalp wheels like a lot of the other decks have. I know they have a reason but why would they not want the design stronger?

9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Be sure to match the hole you're using to the mowing height you're using. Running along all the time on the anti-scalps probably isn't great for the lawn anyway.

10. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Hehe, it funny we have broken about 5 bolts, and just broke another last friday.