Keep breaking anti scalp wheel axle/bolts?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by beaver29, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I, too, have broken many antiscalp wheels on my 2760 xr7 this year. I haven't had any problems out of my 2352. Can the deck lift assist spring be adjusted to make the deck "lighter"?

2. Daniels

Daniels LawnSite Member

Have broken 2 myself on a 60' SUPER Z went top a grade 8 that was 1/2 longer and has been fine--- bolt was 11$ at dealer at Hware store was 1.50$ (he recomended)

3. Dave Carney

Dave Carney LawnSite Member

I would like to know the answer on this as well. The two sided mounting brackets with a center sleeve through which the bolt passes are virtually bullet proof, I have had them on my Ingersoll for 12 years, never a problem and I have a rough lot to mow.

I'm probably going to buy a Super Z for next season but this particular engineering decsion has me puzzled (and also looking at other mowers). I would feel the need to fix this by welding on the additional hanger for each wheel (just by looking at the current design I'm certain they would not survive even one season) Welding on a new mower though seems silly and will surely cause the Mrs to come running out to the barn in disbelief. Pj, can you check on this with the engineers? :)

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I can ask if there are any changes coming in this area, but I am pretty sure there isn't.
    I will let you know.

Pj

5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I feel assured it can be, mine has not been changed yet it lifts so easily I have to pay attention when I try to raise it a small amount or it will go into transport lock.

6. nick858

nick858 LawnSite Member

I think we have broken 6 this year, and all but one have been on our new mower. Last years mower has broken only one, not sure what the difference could be? Two that are on the trim side now are bent too, so Im sure they are not much longer for life. I just thought maybe my dealer got a bad batch of bolts, but apparently the problem is a little more common than that.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

As I stated above, they don't need double brackets.

All they need to do is incorporate one of these

[​IMG]

This shoulder sleeve is what eXmark uses/used. It takes all stress off the bolt. And as engineers know, a tube is stronger than a solid bolt.

Problem is, we as the end user can't retrofit these sleeves, as the bolt holes in the brackets are 1/2". Maybe a small spacer in these 1/2" holes will allow a 3/8" bolt to pass tightly?

The problems with bending/breaking these stock 1/2" bolts IS something minor, but with the overall stronger built Hustler, makes me wonder why they went backwards with strength in this area.

8. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I totally agree on the scalp wheel issue.

I have a 52 Mini-Z in which the trim side wheel hangs closer to the edge than a Super. I am only a part time solo operator but I have broke 5 or 6 already this year and at least twice that many last year. Yes, some were my fault, but the design of being close to the edge and only one side mounting has caused the most problems.

Very common design among most manufacturers, but VERY poor IMO!!

9. PKS

PKS LawnSite Member

If the broken bolts is a problem for some, why not take the whole mower to a welding shop and have them make the additional braket?

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I personally don't feel that the additional bracket is whats needed. Over 4 seasons, I logged 2K hrs on my Lazer and NEVER broke or bent any of them. And they have just one bracket.