Keep em or Dump em ?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigw, Mar 12, 2008.

1. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok you go to give a guy a quote for lawn care { mow,trim, blow} he right away seems like he will be a know how it is when {you can just tell}.
    His lawn is a 1/4 acre and a total nightmare with steep slopes and an above ground pool right at the bottom of one of these slopes. Lots of trimming and just not what you would call a good lawn to mow.
    You quote him a fair price and he right away tries to get you to lower your price and after some debating you cut him a 5$ break and you make the deal. He then ask for a spring clean up and you set that price and make that deal.
    Now you are just days away from actually doing the clean up and the customer calls and says he wants the clean up done but can you do it for 25$ less and also he has thought about it and he has decided he wants his lawn cut every 2 weeks now instead of every week.
    Obviously i try to talk him out of the price drop and the bi weekly mowing but to no question is do you Keep em or Dump em?
    I am leaning towards dumping em because i can smell late pays or no pays coming from this guy already. Now before you make your decision remember this is my first year and i am looking for all the accounts i can get to get me started...just not so sure about this one!
  2. Yes he can smell fresh meat, he knows what he's doing.
  3. willjones4

willjones4 LawnSite Member

Dump him. NOW! There are plenty of others out there that wont put you through that crap.
  4. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

First year or not it doesnt do you any good if you dont get paid. You have already established that you are willing to lower your prices with this guy. That means for the rest of your relationship you will be expected to reduce every price you give him, or even the famous "how much if I pay you cash". Then he will tell his neighbors and then you have 5 clients all expecting price reduction and late paying, then to top it off they start to increase their expectations because of loopholes in your contract. Please RUN and dont look back, more will come along eventually. Its not worth the headaches 1st year or 20th.
  5. StoneDevil

StoneDevil LawnSite Member

i would dump him he his a PITA theres alot of those in my neck of the woods
  6. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Save yourself the headache: Dump him!

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Dump and RUN......You will find others who will pay you your prices and not want to negotiate...
  8. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

Run Forrest, Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun
  9. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

No actually he has no clue he's just cheap.
  10. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

and a price shopper... hence the $25.00 cheaper cleanup.....