keep her or cancel?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 1, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i was servicing my clients property. cutting the grass, spraying weeds around curb/walkway, putting down granular fert + weed control. the lady across the street came over, asked for service. i don't keep contracts with me, but i know i should. she wanted an evaluation, mowing, etc. i verbally explained to her what we are going to do. cut weekly, put down (at that point in the season it was getting late) 2 weed apps, and 2 ferts, as well as spot spray with selective, and spray curbs etc with non selective. i told her the prices, payment terms, and she would be getting a contract in the mail that needed to be signed, and mailed back asap with her first payment. she said fine to everything. i was there, so i mowed, sprayed, applied fert+ herb. now, in new jersey, you cannot apply without a signed consent form, and pre notification of application dates, and products to be used. i did it anyhow. sent contract, first payment came in right on time. no contract in envelope. i continued, sent next months bill, with a note, "please enclose contract", payment came on time, but still no contract. i can't get her on the phone, or when i knock. the payments keep comming, but she will not send the signed contract back. in new jersey it is illegal to apply without the signed form. would you continue or cancel?

2. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

You have answered your own question. Cancel until the agreement is signed then continue service. Or, stop service but continue billing until you recieve the signed agreement.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If the payments keep coming, I wouldn't sweat it on the mowing and such, or even the fert., but I would hold off on any pesticides until you get a signed service agreement. You never get an answer on the phone? There is no machine or anything? If you can't then just leave a note to her about it again.

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would be cautious on doing anything outside of the law. I would possibly continue to do the mowing and such but no chemicals without the signed contract. I wouldnÂ’t want to risk anything with my business if I knew it was illegal.

Gravely_Man

5. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

Add a "no-contract" surcharge.

6. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

Bobby,

In New York a signature on a check is good enough for the NY State DEC to see that you got the approval to do the lawn applications.

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

not here dua, i got a written warning last time i had an inspection. they went thru my files, found one with no signature, and wrote me a warning. next time it's a fine

8. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

why wouldnt you explain to her that it is illegal for you to continue without a contract and that you will have to have it on file prior to the next aplication,,,,,,which is a ways off!

9. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

I would mail her a letter that explains that you are obligated by law to have a signed contract, and that you will have to stop service until you have a signed contract on file. This should bring her out of the woods, sure makes you wonder why? she will not sign the contract?

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

i've sent notes, and left messeges on her machine with this info. bizarre to say the least. i get paid in full on time, like clockwork, but she wont send the contract. weird