keep it or sell it for a deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Willofalltrades, May 10, 2006.

1. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't market like I should have this year and I am making around the same as I was last year. My expenses have changed though. I bought a Walker and I am paying $200 a month on that. I also have insurance and other small equipment I need to purchase like a BP blower and something to go on the trimmer to edge concrete. Needless to say I am paying for a lot more stuff. I know I am foolish for buying the Walker but it was a deal I couldn't pass and It gives me the chance to expand. I don't care about making huge profits this year. I just want to establish my company and get my company name out there. This is a hobby for me. I have another job to take care of the personal bills. I'm 17 by the way.

As in my signiture I state that I have a John Deere HD45 walkbehind. It has 970 hours. One spindle housing is cracked around the bolts but the other two are nice and tight. I think the right hydro is starting to go. It doen't have as much power to the wheel as the other in reverse and it was just at the dealer for adjustment. Other than that the machine is in excellant condition. 860 of the hours on it are from a homeowner. The rest are from me cutting about 10 yards last year. I am bidding on two larger properties and I need a deck bigger than the 48" to complete them if I do get them. They both are 3 acres a piece. So I want to get a 62" deck for the Walker. It is going to run me about $2350. I could use this deck on all 7 yards I have. I want to sell the walkbehind for $1500 and trade in the 42" mulch deck for the 62". My yards are getting bigger and the 48" is taking longer to cut with. Would you advise this move? I don't plan on hiring anytime soon and I only use the deere when I need to side discharge.

2. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

I mow 5 acres with my 48 W/B in 2 hrs,,, If I were you I would save your cash and buy the trimmer and blowers you need first then save you cash for a zero turn 60".

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I'm with Dogbonz, well, i say sell the JD w/b and use that money to upgrade your small equipment, then you will have a great setup. see if you can find someone who would trade you a 48 or 52 side discharge deck for the Walker for your mulcher and some cash maybe, and just go with that... Using the rider over the w/b will save you a little time and a lot of fatigue in most cases which will help your overall productivity... but yea, don't spend any more than you already have... sell the JD and buy small equipment then you'll have all nice stuff. work with what you got, it took me 3 years to learn that lesson... and as my grandfather said and i find it true, when faced with more than one option, always "buy the best of what you can afford" in other words, get the best you can get without owing anyone money on it or going flat out broke...

4. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

dogbonz you have to be flying on that thing! Thanks I will look into a used 52" deck.