keep on schedule, get more work

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 23, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

it has always been my standard, to be behind schedule on lawn mowing. no matter what happens, it was always to the point where we missed a few lawns every week. well, over the last 2 yrs, we've improved on that alot. and i am noticing, we are getting requests for alot of extras. this week alone, we did 3 small landscapes for exsisting lawn customers. it seems to me, if u can stay on schedule on the lawn mowing, they tend to ask for alot more extras. is it just me? anyone notice the same?

2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I got to the point where I was 2 months behind doing landscaping, tree trimming and mulch jobs that I just said enough. Well once I started telling customers that I was about 2 months out they changed their minds. I think I will sub the work out when I start getting that busy again.

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Yup. We're subbing work out now for exactly that reason.
    Reliability and timeliness are very important.

4. bobbygedd

from NJ

this is what i could never understand. you will sub out the big work, so u can cut the grass. this week alone, i've made around $3,000 doing extras. it's only thursday, and i bet i havn't put in, personally, 20 hrs yet. what is your motivation here? that whopping $50 an hour? :dizzy:

5. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

First, I didn't mention what was being subbed out.
    Second,customers that hand out work all year ARE more important than one time flings.
    Third,we're still making money for having someone else do the work. No different than paying chico for cutting lawns.

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

ya, ok. now, let me ask AGAIN, why would you sub out, say, a $1,000 mulch job? what could you possibly make on it, $100? how many cuts do you have to do, and how many buttocks do you have to kiss, to make $1,000?

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

what do you make on a $1,000 mulch job after buying the mulch, paying employees....., and how long does it take.

8. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

First off Mr. businessman, you won't make $1000 off of a $1000 mulch job. Talk about ******** people not knowing they're ********.
    Secondly,should we sub out the mowing and lose year round customers for a one time mulch job?
    Third,it's being subbed out to someone who is trying to build his own business and needs the work right now......he's a friend.
    Fourth, these are ONE TIME customers. Not year round clients who give out year round work. The work that is subbed out simply keeps the good image and word of mouth moving along. It's an investment in the future.
    Fifth, we are STILL making money for watching someone else work.........just like chico.

Getting it yet Einstein? :rolleyes:

9. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, hey now.......be nice to Bobby......he can't help it.....LOL

10. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

How do you guys find anyone to even do sub work? Around here, everyone's as busy as I am :dizzy: I can't even find illegals with free time :p