Keeping Busy This Fall?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by horizonmowing, Oct 10, 2006.

1. horizonmowing

horizonmowing LawnSite Member

I have spent a lot of money for fall clean-ups. Do you all have more leaf jobs (once they fall) then you can possible do, or is that going to take tons of advertising? And how far into winter do you all work?

Road signs (50) and few thousand flayers enough? Seems like people hate leaves and I'm set up for removal.

Thanks, Jonathan.

2. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

Usually stay pretty busy in the fall....looking back on last year's records my last fall cleanup was November 22nd and first plowable snow was December 1st. Not too bad...:laugh:

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I don't do any "removal" at all, but I do stay pretty busy with leaves some years.
    Just depends on my existing accounts from year to year, and how late into the winter I am still doing leaves depends on how slow they come off and/or the percentage of certain species of trees that are present overall.

I've found myself still out in January some years. Can't remember for sure about last year. Seems like I had some heavy drops along the way and finished up earlier.

I work in a region where I encounter both warm and cool season grasses, and both full sun and very woody accounts. Most years I try to keep a good mix to where I slow down just a hair, but for the most part the leaves fill all the gaps from the warm season lawns going into dormancy. Works out nicely so long as I'm lucky enough to get a mix like that from year to year.

This year is looking lighter for me because I don't have some of the big leaf droppers I had last year and I have a few that are new and hard to judge.

So this year I am thinking about offering a leaf blowing service for non-customers also. But I plan to try to stay with the simple blow to the curb for city pickup or blow in the woods type jobs.