1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Keeping clippings out of mulch beds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AP Lawn Care, Sep 27, 2010.

1. AP Lawn Care

AP Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I would love to hear how you guys keep grass out of mulch. I have a few properties that have huge flower beds that are all filled with mulch with rocks outlining the edge where it needs to be trimmed. Short of me pulling the damn things how the rest of you deal with this?

2. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

Bag it or mow the other direction:
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. cut level

cut level LawnSite Senior Member

What are you asking? How to keep it out while mowing or how to keep it out on the part you are trimming against the rocks?

If you are getting some in there from trimming around the rock border which shouldnt be much at all then just go back with the blower. The small amount that flies in there while trimming you should be able to dispurse with the blower and never tell it was there. You should be able to keep 90% of those trimmings out while trimming.

4. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Several factors... I try to cut with the discharge going away from the bed. Depending on the conditions it may beimpossible to do. How often are you mowing? Do you have a mulch kit? Worst case scenario we blow or try to blow the grass off of the top of the mulch. Most customers are fine with this. You may have to reset your customer expectations that a minimal amount of grass may be left in beds( but it will dissipate after a few days).

5. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

If you don't want to bag it, you could try one of those discharge covers that you can open and close as needed. I've never used one myself (we bag grass here), but I would imagine it will leave a row of clippings along the right side of the deck (just like when my catcher gets full). Just go back with the blower and disperse them. It's easier than trying to blow grass clippings out of a mulch bed without getting mulch all over the lawn.....

6. cut level

This is the correct answer.

7. AP Lawn Care

Yeah I was mostly talking about trimming but because of the location of the beds to the house it's almost impossible to mow unless I take the time and do it with a 21inch. If I dont do that it requires there to be a lot of trimming which means grass in mulch beds. It's bright red mulch and you can see it pretty good. None the less I was just curious but thanks ajslands for your brillant answer. ShooterK2 I think that's what I'm going to do because I have a few accounts where this is a problem and I'm not bagging anything that I don't have to.

8. AP Lawn Care

Still mowing this yard every 5 days. I've just been getting what I can out of there and mixing the mulch around to make it look like there's none in there. LOL

9. cut level

I still dont see how trimming is throwing a bunch of grass in the beds. The rock border must not be tall at all?

10. deere-man

deere-man LawnSite Member

Trimmer trap blade blocker.