Keeping edger guard clean...?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by fiveoboy01, May 28, 2006.

1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

My edger guard really gets built up on the inside with dirt and grass. I was thinking of smearing a thin layer of bearing grease on the inside of it to ease removal of the stuff after I'm done using it.

Good idea, or is there a better way?

2. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

PAM Spray.

3. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

bearing grease is THE LAST thing you'd wanna put on there. if anything I'm pretty sure the grease will make it worse, since grease sticks to the material, AND dirt sticks to it. you'll probably have to just clean it out all the time.

4. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

I quess I'm old fashion.. I use a long screwdriver..:drinkup:

5. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

my stihl has never clogged

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have an older echo, with the metal guard. One side of the guard is removeable making it open totally on that side just like the stihl. Best thing i ever did for it! If yours is plastic I would highly recommend just cutting away the one side of the guard. I never have to clean mine out, other than when I put on a fresh blade I give it a turn around by hand and it knocks off the dried mud that's in it's way. BEfore I removed the side of the guard the blade would get totally locked up on the mud that packed in there, sometimes in a matter of 50 feet (clay).

What I want is an edger that dosnt spray mud and dry sand into my shoes and all over my legs, also MUD all over parked cars. I don't know if they all do this, of if it's just mine. mine has a small "mudflap" on the back directly behind the blade but the mud slings out at about a 45* angle from the blade backwards.