keeping employee's happy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J Hisch, Nov 23, 2003.

1. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Just looking for some adivse to help keep employee's happy and keep them working for me rather than starting out on their own.
  2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Ive come to the conclusion that it doesnt matter how well you treat an employee, if they are ready to get out on their own there is no way to stop them.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I am not sure that HAPPY would make a difference to an ambitious employee.

I think I would try having them sign a non-compete agreement as a condition of employment.

and never...ever...let them take the equipment home.

4. Southpaw

Southpaw LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I only have one guy that works for me PT and he is very happy without my influence. He has wanted to go out on his own for years before I ever met him, but I don't think he ever will. He will be the first to admit that he is lacking in many aspects necessary to run his own gig.

On the other hand, until late this summer I managed a large restaurant and had roughly 56 employees under my control. I did my best to encourage morale and give them leeway to have "excess within control". But that often led to the inmates running the asylum. I don't know how many employees you are talking about, but I have learned that each one of them usually have to be dealt with in different ways. Some will cry and quit if you yell at them and for some that is the only way you can deal with them. Some need positive re-enforcement and a pat on the back while others rise to the challenge based on your negative critisism. But I doubt that you have 56 crew members so I'll stop comparing my previous job to this one.

Try providing incentives, bonus programs or ask them for their suggestions. Make them feel like their input is important to you and listen to what they say. But to make a long story short, some people can never be pleased and they can cause problems for you. There are way too many jobless people ready to step in as opposed to dealing with unhappy employees.
  5. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Never let an employee know what you are charging ! They will think you're getting rich and not want to work as hard, most don't understand the expenses we incur just doing business. Give them a fair wage, show them by your work ethic how to be efficient-not by sitting in an office barking orders. In other words, don't make them feel like they're making all the money while you sit back and reap the benefits.
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

If you only have a few employees working for you I came up with what I call share the wealth program. I give them a % of each job on top of there pay. I don't know how it would work for you becouse I do mostly installs. What I did was tell them the faster you get it done the more you make. If 3 guys can turn a 2 day job into 1 day I'm off to the next one,, I made more becouse it was done in half the time. The guys make GOOD $$$ so they have incentive to work hard. If I get a call back becouse something was not done right it comes off there next pay. They loose the whole incentive not just a few $$$$ it stops them from doing inferior work to make more $$$. Same guys for 3 yrs now.
  7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

A little praise goes a long way. As a human condition, we like to recieve praise and recognition for our contributions and ideas.I like my guys to place their input into jobs all the time. It instills a sense of confidence that makes them feel like more than just a laborer.I buy my guys lunch 2-3 days a week as well. Bonuses at holidays are key , too. I also buy gifts for Christmas, it's all a write-off, and well worth it in the end.One thing though, never let an employee think/know you can not survive without him. You will open Pandora's Box every time, with raise issues, more/less hours, etc. You have to be the boss, first and foremost, not their buddy.:nono:
  8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -