Keeping employees through winter?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by tillerkiller, Jul 8, 2011.

1. tillerkiller

tillerkiller LawnSite Member
    from USA

How do you do this? While we have snow removal, that is completely up to mother nature. Do you allow the employees you'd like to keep to draw unemployment? When I say allow, I mean allow to do so without letting them go afterwords? Really looking for opinions.

2. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

if you let them go after "the season", layoff, regardless or not if you want to keep the "good" ones, you will still pay benefits to the "bad" ones

3. tillerkiller

from USA

I'm actually the employee, who does a rather important job thoroughly and is can do any other job the company asks in a very sufficient matter. I feel as though I have a great boss but I am somewhat afraid to ask whats ahead in the winter months when I know I won't be working. I love my job and everything else that goes along with it, which is why I'm inquiring.

4. lukemelo216

lukemelo216 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ...

you can ask him what is ahead for the winter, if you guys work or just go on layoff. I know some companies around here will do hardscaping in the winter, or build decks, etc to keep the work flowing. Most likely though you will go on layoff, in which you get to collect unemployment, then plow snow as you need to throughout the winter. The weeks you plow you get paid by your employer and depending on the hours you worked you may or may not recieve unemployment that week.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I would not be afraid to ask.....you might tell him some of the things
    that you can do....like paint. Maybe you could get him to do tree work durnign the winter and split firewood to sell.

6. seabee24

seabee24 LawnSite Senior Member

If your boss is smart and not a prick....just ask him and see what he says.

If he is a good boss and smart with his money, he will see the value in keeping you on board for the entire winter. I had one guy on my staff, Granded, it's less hours, and he takes a pay cut because the only thing I have him do is busy work.... It he gets a pay check, and come spring I know that he is good to run his own crew
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. motown1

motown1 LawnSite Member

We had a employee quit, for health reasons, now we are struggling to find good reliable help for the remaining summer months. We are a small company building, trying not to use credit, so we can not pay someone this summer. However hoping by next summer we can. Any suggestions as to where to find a employee? Thanks!!

8. motown1

motown1 LawnSite Member

I'm sorry this winter.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I don't remember the specifics, but the employer has no choice in paying UA to a laid off employee due to lack of work. They have to work a certain number of days or hours to be eligible, but once they are, unless fired for cause, it must be paid.

It's sort of stupid not to, it's really the employee's money to begin with.

Who preps the equipment for next season?

10. tillerkiller

from USA

Thanks guys! I've not come around to asking just yet, but plan to do so soon. I really don't forsee it being too big an issue. I'm either worked or I take unemployment, I don't really have a choice.

There are a few full-time employees through the winter who have been there many years. They do the prepping and whatnot.