Keeping good workers and tips.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mississippiturf, Jul 18, 2008.

1. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

I've read the horror threads of irresponsible workers, so let's toss the coin and explore the other side of things.

Was just curious what some of you all do to keep good workers (other than up their pay) to keep them, and if a customer tips you for a lawn that you and your worker are doing, do you split it equally??

2. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

the place i workd for every friday after work we got a cook out that was always nice. we got uniforms hats pruners umm other cool stuff i mean just simple things saftey glasses they gave the smelly mexicans deoderant

3. kayakn

kayakn LawnSite Member

LMAO, "they gave the smelly mexicans deoderant" are you serious?

4. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

'Take-home' trucks & gas

5. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

thatd keep me there for a looong time

6. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

well they coudlnt force them to wear it but they gave it too them. ya know the little ones like youd get for going on vacation. i mean 3 sweaty guys in a truck and one smells like road kill something has to be done

7. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

KGR, Are you related to Larry the Cable Guy, b/c I don't care who you are, that there is funny!!!!

8. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

You might as well let him live in your house and sleep with your ___________>

An 18 year old kid that worked with us for a few months, came by while out riding around one Saturday with 4 of his friends in a nice Diesel Dually. His new boss let him use it until he got his car fixed. At $4.89 per gallon and maybe 15 mpg around town. That could get expensive...quick. ADD the judgement(Drinking, drugs, etc) of any of my previous employees, and the fact they they become ENTITLED quickly (I'm afraid to buy their lunch (unless we had a gruelling day) Give them a gift today, and your an ass if you don't give them one tomorrow.

9. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

Truer words havent been spoken.

10. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

Hey I got 3 daughters

I hire on the basis of "would I let this young guy date my daughter?'

If I wouldn't they're not getting near my trucks and mowers.

This is the same young man that will pull 20 hours on a plow truck or locked in a Bobcat in winter & will come home after a day in the summer with 20 acres mowed