Keeping grass from clumping?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BrandonH, Apr 10, 2004.

1. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

Where I live the humidity is so bad most of the time that if I waited for all the moisture to evaporate off the grass it would be after noon before I would get started. I primarily mow st. augustine grass, a little bermuda, and some bahai. I've seen meg-mo claim that their blades prevent clumping, but are there other ways to do it?

-Brandon

2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow in similar conditions and haven't had much of a problem with any of my mowers, except in REALLY damp / moist conditions. However, my JD 757 has the 7-Iron deck and it is by far the best I've used. Hasn't left a clump yet and I've been running it for 2 years now. Also, the longest grass I'm talking about is only two weeks growth. Not sure about yours, but that could be a factor.

Are you running at high enough RPM's? Going too fast? Blades sharp? Just trying to throw some ideas yer way.

3. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

Yea Brandon we also have high humidity and same grasses and usually its not much of a problem but when it is we just go back w/ a blower and spread it out

4. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Cut the grass and let it lay while you finish mowing the lawn. No matter how bad you want to go back over it, let it lay and dry while you finish cutting. Once you finish mowing the lawn completely, then go back over the clumps with the discharge chute up and spray that grass out.

Most everyone has the tendency to try to fix the clumps right away by just crushing more and more moisture out of the grass blades. If you let the sun dry it out for just 10 min, it will make a big difference in your clumping problem.

works for me.

Mow more often...

5. JimBab

JimBab LawnSite Member

Brandon: There is a product called moweeze that you can spray on your under decks and blades that does help. The parts you spray need to be very clean and dry when you do it. Let them dry 24 hours before mowing and retreat occasionally.

6. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I use the blower technique too and it blends in the clumps very well and they dissapear when your done!

7. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Double Blades = Fewer Hairballs

8. Dint

Dint LawnSite Member

When ur finished raise ur deck up about an inch or so and go back over the areas that needs it.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This (directly above) is the fastest way to do it, without question.