Keeping guys busy B4 actual mowing begins

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jpocket, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

What are some of you guys strategies, we've got plenty of mulch jobs for this week, but it sux when you don't here back from ppl, who you gave bids/estimates to. Could really use/want some of those jobs.

So what do some of you guys do when you NEED to keep your employees but won't have 40 hours for them until another 2 weeks.

2. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I start bringing my summer only guys back one at a time. Add them back in slowly as we get closer to the season.

We are starting spring cleanups and a few residential tree jobs tomorrow. I called 2 of my summer guys back. There are 9 of us working this week. I will probably keep 2-3 of them here to change oil, sharpen blades, untarp mowers, air up the tires, etc and basically get everything ready to go.
    Plows and salters came off on Thursday.

Is there any other work around the shop they could be doing? Preventative maintenance, etc??? If not, start a week later.

3. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

same here they do work around my house, cleaning up new landscaping etc, wash the trucks vaccuum the trucks whell out the trucks and eqpt, i ahve a building with all our eqpt so they stay busy

4. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

Make a few calls on people you did not hear back from, they may have just put off making a decision and will say ya come on over!

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Yea the thing is I don't have a really big business, all of my mowers and trucks are maintaned by me on the wkends, I can't see paying someone to redo something that is already done. I may just call a feew customers like "Cush" said.