Keeping it simple...how many ads to succeed?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by A1Lawns, Jan 7, 2008.

1. A1Lawns

A1Lawns LawnSite Member

It's all about putting the numbers in our favor. Let's face it.

I'm looking to obtain 300 new application accounts this coming Spring. I figure a decent ad printed up and distributed to 20,000 homes with a minimal retainer of 1.5% of customers would yield 300 customers.

As long as you know how to get, and keep, a lawn looking great,(easy for most of us) lets face it, isnt this all it takes? :cool2:

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I find the response rate is closer to 0.35%, or 3-4 per thousand.
    Oh, and that includes working for free and bending over backwards.

I cover the entire county and I think I might get 300 calls, out of that I close 1 out of 10 on average.
    But when I work, I get paid.
    And no butt kissing :laugh:

3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

If you are a one man show and judging by your current cutomer count of 30 you are. You want 300 new accounts in one year like you want another hole in your head. You may not realize it at this point, but trust me, this is the case. Unless you have unlimited budget for equipment and hired help ready to go on standby that is.New customers with crummy lawns take much more time to whip into shape. It's not so bad after the first year when they have been lined out. and placed into your route in an orderly fashion. 300 New customers in one year by myself. NO THANKS

4. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

I went from 50 to 125 customers last year.. and spent the better part of the year just trying to catch up... believe me.. unless you're set up for 600 customers... you don't want 300...

besides.. do the math.. your mailer goes out one day.. 300 people call.. ignoring logistics of actually recieving, categorizing, routing, and planning the calls, you now have 300 potential customers wanting to see you TODAY. you would have to work 10 hour days to see that many people in a month by yourself... and heaven forbid if you have anything else that needs to get done... also, do you think everyone is going to wait 2-4 weeks to see you? nope... this could actually hurt your reputation...

But lets say you miraculously close a bunch of sales, and now you have 300 clients x 6 treatments (+extras which are not included) that's 1800 treatments this year... how many treatments can you do a day? can you afford at least one more truck, and rig? and can you deal with employees that will likely be half as fast, and twice as careless as you?

No... bro.. trust me.. shoot for 100.. maybe even 150... but 300 will not happen..

5. ted putnam

Yea, that's what I was trying to say. It just didn't quite come out that way.

Thanks Ray

6. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm seeing some really good advice here. Slow, steady growth is the key. Anything that grows too fast doesn't last long. That's just the way of things. Like the others said, I'd set a ceiling at 100 new customers, if I were you. You'd be overwhelmed even if you only added on 100 new customers.

7. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

perhaps you need to come to the BIG W closing skills school!! j/k with ya. but hey for real if i can close my lawn customers like i did in auto sales ill be in good shape.The past 5 years i closed 33% of my customers on the auto and 66% of them bought warranties and 41% bought gap insurance and my CSI "customer satisfaction index was 96% or higher every year. by the way the auto industry sales closing average is below 15%.and trust me you never met a tougher sale then a car buyer. not being smart but maybe you just need to brush up on your closing skills,i mean you can say..."you want to buy a warranty" or you can say "let me show you the benifits of our service contract and how it can save you money mrs smith".sometimes its all in the delivery.people want to see benifits and hear how it can do something good for them,I use to train all our new sales people for both stores.Sell yourself,sell your company and then sell the benifits.I know im not the expert but im trying to give some good advice to all like you guys have been doing for me so dont be offended,this is not meant for you inparticular.

8. bigw

not true,my neighbor has over 400 accounts in his 3rd year of just fert and has one part time helper.dont ask me how but its true!

9. ted putnam

By your slogan I'd say quality is what you will strive for. Do quality work that cutomers and others can see and you'll be able to leave the hard sell at home. I closed right at 70% of the estimates I ran last year. Mostly referrals and my flag in the front yard. Those flags...best $100 I ever spent. They see the work and they see who's doing it. Nearly sells itself.

10. bigw

GOOD POINTS,I JUST GOT A SIGN FOR MY FRONT YARD AND I LIVE ON A MAJOR CORNER AT A TRAFFIC LIGHT SO I HOPE IT HELPS ME.MY POINT OF THE SIGN IS NOT TO GET PEOPLE TO COME IN MY HOUSE BUT TO GET MT LOGO IN THEIR MINDS!:weightlifter: