Keeping mower decks clean?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mouse, Apr 17, 2008.

1. mouse

mouse LawnSite Member

What methods do you use for keeping your mower decks clean, do those grass release products work, does running doubles help, will a product like wd-40 help anything work, will one type of blade do better than an outher I would muck prefer not having to clean under the deck daily.

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

one method is as good as the next....

this is just one of those PITA task with our jobs...

I have herd of people when there machine is NEW spraying the under side with rhyno bed liner.... and problem solved.

other than that, the grasses will stick and ya have to clean it out from time to time...

Like you this is one of the worse things I have to do

3. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

The only time grass sticks is when the grass is wet. Wet grass is like a magnet to a deck and really the only thing to do is raise up the deck and when you get home rinse it well...Small lawns are more work when wet and try to make sure they are done on dry days..

4. TYCINC

TYCINC LawnSite Member

first thing we do to a new machine is rhyno line the underside of the deck. Prep work (sanding) is a bit of a *****, but is worth the time invested. On the top side, the Dixies have fans on top of each spindle that does a very good job of keeping the top of the deck clean.

5. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

We blow off the deck after the work day is done. I hose down my 21 weekly.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Try Fluid Film on the underside of the deck. I plan to put FF thru the paces myself when cutting begins here in a few weeks.

7. mouse

mouse LawnSite Member

I had'nt thought of Fkuid Film or using Rinho lining. Thanks

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

how does the rhino liner work under decks, is it slick or something. our trucks have textured liner material and this would not work, please explain or get some photos!!!!!!!!!!!

9. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I owned a Rhino Linings dealer for 5 years, we did our share of mower decks, and you can do it without the texture, but honestly for the price I would still use Fluid Film. The grass will still stick to the Rhino, its not magic and if it starts to peal, forget it, usually a dealer will not warrant anything but a truck bed.

10. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

What works better from keepin grass off the deck, fluid film or rhino liner?