Keeping mowers from rolling on the trailer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Aaron's Lawn Care, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Aaron's Lawn Care

Aaron's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

What methods do you guys use to keep your machines from rolling around on the trailer? I use ratchet tie downs for right now but I need to find something else because they are a real pain to deal with. Do any companies make products specifically for this purpose?

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

YES pro lockers I thinks the name of them. or do a search some member put up some real good pics of some home made ones

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I set the parking brake and I'm done, but it took me several years to learn to drive properly before I could get away with it because the mower will slam into the front of your trailer should YOU slam on brakes - IF this happens, the weight of the mower will PUSH your truck several feet further and you can FEEL it pushing and it is NOT fun.
    But the tie-down ratchets ARE a big waste of time, I used to do that during my first year and got real tired of it. Still it was necessary because it took TIME for me to learn to drive the rig real EASY, like an old man. Nowadays, I can't remember the last time the Wb moved on its own except when I forget to set the brake... Oh, and of course you need to check the brake and make sure it's adjusted properly.

4. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

In or out of the trailer in seconds, no tying or strapping here. Got 2 for the ATV trailer as well.

5. lawn_jockey

lawn_jockey LawnSite Member

May not be the best method but I use a single Breakover strap. Kind of like a rachet strap. But no racheting. I have a chock in front of both wheels of my zturn. The chock is a metal bracket mounted to the trailer. So when my strap is attached to the center front of my zturn, one breakover pulls the machine down and into the chocks securing it. It is really fast. When I load up I drive into the chocks, reach down and boom the strap is secure. I would love to try out some prolockers but don't want to spend the money. I am comfortable with my 15 dollar breakover strap.

6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i just set the parking brake on my walkers. no more wasting ten min. a yard dragging out the ropes and chains and rigging something even houdini couldnt escape like previous mowers ive used. flip one lever... 1 second.

7. moremowing4me

moremowing4me LawnSite Member
    from S.C.

fast straps from green touch are very good and inexpensive to boot

8. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I use about 10" of 2x4 one piece in front of each tire and one piece in the back of each tire(only the rear tires) then screw them to the floor of the trailer.

9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I also just set the parking brakes on my TTHP's and they seem to stay fine.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, Greentouch Fastraps can't be beat. They are one of the best investments you can make in my opinion. Plus they are very fast, easy to use and secure. In my opinion, they are the only way to secure any piece if zero turn equipment. This is because this is the only method I have found that keeps zero turn equipment in place and still on the trailer.