Keeping my stuff on my trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by centepede, Apr 12, 2005.

1. centepede

centepede LawnSite Member

What's everyone using to secure their equipment while in the backyard or on a pit stop? Kryptonite cables and locks? You know this yard work isn't easy and I want to keep my equipment and my money. I've done searches and everyone seems to have a "well it happend to me" thread and I just wanted to know the best way to keep my stuff safe on a open trailer!! Hope everyones phone is ringing off the hook!! Good luck payup
  2. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

We run all enclosed trailers but one now, but did use all opens at one time. The most common things for theft seem to be trimmers and blowers. We just used pad locks instead of latch pins in the holders. The guys could just wear the key on a lanyard ect. and unlock when using. We also work with an "in sight" set up. This meaning someone from the crew is always working "in sight" of the truck.
  3. centepede

centepede LawnSite Member

I'm a one man show for I'm just trying to develop good habits, so I'm not here flipping out about how some low-life wanted my equipment more than I did. What are the best hitch and trimmer locks and such?
  4. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I lock down my gas cans and my blowers at night with a kryptonite chain and a huge master lock. My trimmers are locked onto the rack with lockable pins. I drilled a hole through the side of my hitch so when I take the trailer off the truck I can slide one of those master locks with almost no exposed shank when its locked around that hole so nobody can set the hitch down on a ball.
  6. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

i use a python by masterlock like appalachian does
    works great, 6' cable and i can cinch it down and lock it to most anything, mowers, trimmers, gas cans, whatever works. just make sure you put the cable iin the right way, otherwise it'll cinch out, even when its locked. great product though
  7. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

You definitely want the cables over a regular chain. Much harder to cut... they just kind of frey apart and get stuck in the cutters.
  8. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

small stuff is locked up in barn, mowers won't be stolen. I'd hear them outside being taken off the trailer, which is attached to the truck.