Keeping paperwork organized? HOW?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by J-Mass-Ind, Mar 3, 2009.

1. J-Mass-Ind

J-Mass-Ind LawnSite Member

How do you prefer to keep your paperwork organized?

1. Customer lists\Routing\notes
    2. Receipts
    3. Invoices: Payable\Receivable

Does anyone use a laptop in there truck? Anyone gone paperless?

J-Mass Industries

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

eliminate what ya can , deal with the rest on a daily basis.

3. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

Quickbooks
    Microsoft Excel
    and piles on my desk which make my wife want to kill me

When that happens I usually stop and sort through them. I use a 4 drawer cabinet with catagorized folders and monthly folders depending on what it is.

4. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

quicken for invoices
    microsoft works to keep track of my clients for that day

i do paperwork every day after getting home. if i don't do it that day, then i will forget, especially after having a couple cold ones! :drinkup:

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I throw everything at me CPA, She SCREAMS when I show up with a stack of recipts,

I just love hearing her scream.

6. browningv308

browningv308 LawnSite Member

keep a daily to do list containing the addresses than need service make the bills the night before on your computer then drop the in the mail box after you mow as far as the receipts keep a large envelope in the truck as you buy something put the receipt in the envelope at the end of the month write down what month it was and put it in the pile of stuff for the tax guy you can even add up the amounts of all the receipts and keep track of what your spending i have been doing this for my heating and air business ans my landscaping business for several years now and it works pretty good

7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have daily route sheets, Quickbooks, and a file cabinet. Paperwork sucks, I hate it.

8. lhk2

lhk2 LawnSite Member

I second that. If my wife cleans my desk I can't find a thing. There's no easy way to do it. We just hired a office manager, seems to be easier with the paper work and phone calls, and daily billing and filing.

9. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Gopher software for routing, scheduling, invoices, accounts receivable...

10. ExtExc

ExtExc LawnSite Member

my better half will be helping me this summer thank god. i will try to have her help me in the field when possible, and more so keeping organized in quickbooks and with paperwork. i also will be working out of my truck with quickbooks online.