Keeping personal, and business phones seperate...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Josh.S, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering how most of you guys keep your personal and business phones seperate, especially in the case of solo ops and other smaller businesses.

Right now I just have a cell phone that is used for personal and businesss, but I plan on doing a lot of advertising next year, and tons in 2008. Buying another phone at this time doesn't seem like a very lucrative decision at all, because I probably only get a business call once per week. was wondering if you guys though it would be profitable to buy a 1-800 number, and then when/if the business grows large, I could buy a seperate office number and I wouldn't have the mess of trying to seperate my personal/business phone calls. I just don't want to have a huge hassel down the road from the decisions I make now.

I figure if I spend several thousand dollars over the next 2 years in advertising, I can't change my business phone number. I don't know if I want my business number to always be my cell phone.

Do you guys have any advise on what I should do?

EDIT: Sorry for the run-on paragraphs and sentences, english was never my strong point.
  2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Personal phone? what the hell is that? home phone... oh the fax line. Get a good accountant.
  3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I just have one line that is used for home/business and it works fine for me and I do alot of advertising. I used to have business line but got tired of paying through the nose for a residential line that I have to have and another business line that cost twice as much. I guess they think if your in business you must be rich so they charge you double for the same service............. oh wait... its a business line. Same thing, double the rate. More than 50% of all new businesses are run out of the home and most people dont care if you have a seperate business line, they just want quality work.
  4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I think they only charge a few bucks for an additional line on your home phone. It might be something to look into. I personally use my cell phone for everything. It enables me to get back to customers & other calls a lot faster w/ no middle man. If I was bigger & had need for a secretary, then I would definitely have a business-only line.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I had a separate business line for 4 years but dropped it this year and went with the cell. Actually the transition went pretty well, I notified all my customers in Feb. that I would be switching the number as of April 1...I kept it hooked up until around the middle of May just to be safe. Only a few customers took awhile to get the hint.

I did have to throw out a ton of flyers with the old number but no biggie. If I get to the point where I need an actual separate place of business I would definitely go back to a landline of course, but for now the cell works fine.
  6. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

That is what I am doing also, but my cell phone is my main personal phone, as well my only business phone. Does anybody have a 1-800 on here?
  7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Our business has two cell phones, a fax line, and and internet connection. It runs us about 200 per month. About 40 for internet/fax line and another 160 for the cells...they are verizons push to talk.

My customers get the one cell #, an email address, and a fax number. BTW, I have a seperate and excluse home line.
  8. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

You can get a "distinctive ring" line for $5 or so a month.
  9. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I could NEVER use my cell phone has my sole business phone. OMG. I'd get no work done with all the damn salesman out there calling me every 5 mintutes. I swear to god i get 4-5 calls a day from salesman. Heck when i am home and my phone rings i ALWAYS let it go to the awnsering machine. I like to screen the calls before i talk to the person. I routinely google the phone number and look at the google earth pictures of there houses. Making sure it is a nice house in a decent area.

Also, if someone calls and doesn't leave a msg, its almost guranteed they are price shopping.
  10. desii

desii LawnSite Member

One advantage of having a business line is you get a listing in the Yellow Pages as part of your phone line fee.

Initially, I had a business line along with a residential line at my house. I was paying for call forwarding to my cell because, back then, I didn't want to give out my cell phone as it would waste my minutes. That was some 10 years ago. Now, I have free incoming with Nextel. Let 'em call, it doesn't cost me to answer the phone.

I wasn't using the business line at all (outgoing calls), just my cell. I kept the line, but found out I could have Remote Call Forwarding, which is much cheaper then have a physical line. I still have the phone number, but I don't have a physical line at my house. It's forwarded at the phone company and costs me about .10 per call (No outgoing, Incoming only). I wanted to keep the number because it spells LAWN (000) 000-LAWN (5296).

Then, they allowed you to "bring your number" to another carrier, but I would've lost the Yellow Pages ad, so I just kept it the way it was.