1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Keeping the season going....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DixieFerris, Oct 15, 2006.

1. DixieFerris

DixieFerris LawnSite Senior Member

Last year we bagged and performed leaf cleanups here in the northern Albany, NY area until Dec 1st, and the snow finally came down. Since we take the winter off and don't plow, I decided to take a chance and head south a bit. An old college roommate of mine, who lives in northern NJ, told me I could stay with him for a while for free and should come down and make some extra cash in some of the surrounding neighborhoods. His parents even had an area to dump leaves should I need to. Well I took a chance, loaded up one Dixie Chopper, the Cyclone Rake, couple blowers, etc and went down there. Had an entire extra week of work (15 homes, about $4,500) by myself just knocking on doors and offering on the spot service to those who were behind on the leaves. I know I had some confused looks from other companies trying to figure out where the heck my phone number was from, but it worked out great and this year, if weather permits, I am heading down again with my brother who is currently working for me. Anyone else do something like this or have a better method for me? thanks!
  2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

northern jersey winter is not florida youre going to get snow and itll be cold so i dont forsee it being different then where youre at
  3. DixieFerris

DixieFerris LawnSite Senior Member

???:dizzy: Tom, take a deep breath, type slowly, and try again. I appreciate your response, but it's very hard to understand
  4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i think he said he did it last year and it worked, so hes gonna do it again this year.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I think the difference is they have more or less continuous snow cover up where he is...not so when you get farther south even though it may be cold...
  6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i know but hes makign it seem like he doesnt want snow and they get a good bit there too and thats not that much money to extend a season on
  7. dmanb2b

dmanb2b LawnSite Member

I commute from Poughkeepsie, NY to Allendale NJ once a week and he is at least another 1hr north of me..:canadaflag: ..about 10-15 degree difference in the winter..thats a big diff...all my trees a bright red, yet by my office in NJ...they are just turning yellowish.

I say go for it dude
  8. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

How'd ya handle the tax and licensing situation?