Keeping track of customers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by RhettMan, May 9, 2008.

1. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

What program can i use to keep a schedule for customers and keep general customer info like phone, address, price, etc?

2. gavin478

gavin478 LawnSite Member

QUICKBOOKS! (you can even try out the 'simple start edition' free (as long as you have less than 20 customers) you can give each customer a profile with name and contact info, create invoices for each one, track your expenses, and print and email invoices, and its FREE. If you want to upgrade buy the 2008 edition on ebay real cheap and you can do all the same except have more customers. You can even have them email or mail our invoices for you, or do credit cards for a fee.

3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

just buy a bunch of sticky pads.

we use gopher 2006 professional with bar code scanner.

(i better get free t-shirt from gopher now for advertising them)

4. F3Nelson

F3Nelson LawnSite Member

I always have and always will use quick books

5. Chuckie481

Chuckie481 LawnSite Member

If you have Microsoft works,there's a calender included and it works great for my needs.

Al

6. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

I've used Clip in the past but keeping updated got expensive. Now, Quickbooks Pro all the way.

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Quickbooks Pro keeps track of customer's information easily. More importantly, it tracks invoices, expenses, payments, etc, providing the business with necessary information.

For scheduling, I use the Task Scheduler in my Palm Pilot. It works well, is always with me, and insures that nobody gets lost when schedules get shuffled because of weather.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

QB as well. I keep track of all their info, including where there found our company - referral from customers, landscapers, supply houses, realtors, or from our website, phonebook, etc.

I have also set it up to input the main components of their sprinkler system - heads, valves, controller, backflow preventer, etc. but I have gotten away from entering all this info. never have the time.

9. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

No matter what sytem you use, "garbage in garbage out" is the rule.

10. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

been using a word doc , each day gets its heading and each customer gets a little 5 line info thing, lists when it was mowed, what is owed, etc.. only prob is i have to copy/ paste each customer from one day heading to the next at days end.. doing that i lost one account by copying, getting distracted and forgeting to paste.. hence basically deleting the cust. i have backups, but i wouldnt check until i relized 3 weeks later.

im trying to switch to excell .. no one uses excell? i like the spreadsheet alot.
    all customers are in left column, then price, then payment info.. the the entire top row is 4 million long listing the 3 days a week that i mow. each gets a "owes" "paid" "mow" under each date. think it'll work just fine.