Keeping track of jobs.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The landscaper, Feb 8, 2005.

1. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious to see how everyone keeps tracks of all the mowing they do each week. Or, if you bill monthly how do you keep track of the all those times mowed? Thanks

2. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I made a spreadsheet of all of my stops with the dates across the top, and the customers on one side. I just check them off and bill it out at the end of the month. I also put a place for notes. I also highlight the days we get rained out as I go. I also highlight the days that are weekend days so you can kinda plan ahead. It's a really simple system, but I can review it easily and have all of the information I need right there on the clip board.

3. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

The season everyone was billed for a contract...
    But in terms of keeping track. I had a planner that i wrote down the customer and the start and finish time. This was go because I could find out how good I was doing on each lawn, time wise that is...

4. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

I have 2 part invoices that are layed out in the order I cut. So when I leave a customer I mark on that invoice what I did and go to the next one in the clipboard when I get 4 cuts on the invoice I mail the bill or either hand it to them.

5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

PGood ol' pen & paper. Would write down day, date and service performed and add any additional notes or charges that need apply. I would like go back to the office (home) and transfer everything to Quickbooks.

However, my wife bought be a pocketPC for Christmass this year. Plan on getting a program that I can enter info into and download straight to quickbooks with a touch of a button once I get back to the office. Hoping it will let me enter expenses also. Basically eliminate a lot of boring, but necessary, office work. Hope it'll work the way I want it too...

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

What I have been doing is, I have a binder with lots of stuff in it for organizational stuff. I call it my laptop LOL. It has several pockets and things, and a three ring binder inside. I have a few regular cheapo notebooks on that three ring binder, each one for different info. One of them I use for keeping track of jobs. Here's what I do:

At beginning of work day, I write down the date on top of a page. Then, at each jobsite I write down the customers last name, and the time it was when I got out of the truck. Then when we get back in the truck we write down the stop time. We can also write down comments such as "bagged due to high growth" or whatever. This way, we can keep track of time on properties, approximate drive time between jobs, and anything else involved. Works pretty well. The only downside is that you get the papers smudge from sweaty dirty hands, but thats ok as I'm the only one looking at them (or my workers). This year I probably will print up spreadsheets as mentioned above.

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Ours are all billed in Equal Monthly payments using the projected number of seasonal cuts based on past experience.

8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Mine is pretty simple I use a 3 ring binder giving every customer their own sheet with their information on it.After we service each house we just fill in what we did.If it is just maintenance then I write down the date fertilizer I write it down and there is a spot for extra notes.

9. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

I also do it like Frankenscag and Luxlawn. I used to use a binder or a day-planner, then just started buying a cheap steno pad each year. Each week is on one page, each day I write customer last name as I come to the job, then note what was done as I leave. I quit keeping the invoices in the truck, as others said, they just get too dirty to mail to the customer.

I use a simple system of abbreviations to make it quick C 31 means a complete mow/trim, 31 minutes from time I pull over to curb to time I get back in truck. It is pretty easy since my primary business is mowing. If the job was not complete for some reason, the note would read P 20 (partial, 20 minutes)

The exact time is also useful to see at the end of the year what jobs need price adjustment.

Another thing that should be noted on each day is mileage driven. Unless you are using a very new truck, my accountant says taking the standard mileage deduction gets you a higher truck expense on your tax return, than taking actual expense.

10. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

I never thought to keep track of the exact time for each client. That's a great idea and makes price adjustment easier. I've only ever figured square footage and obstacles but never quantified it in terms of exact time. Thanks for the tip!!

I keep mine on an Excel spreadsheet on my Palm Pilot. I use Documents to Go and that saves me having to re-input everything on the computer when I get home. Tracks my employees hours as well. The only problem is that my m130 is getting old (3 years old) and the screen is wearing out. Looking at getting a Pocket PC this spring. Would like any feed back anyone has on the the Pocket PC vs. Palm platforms.