1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Keeping track of lawns your serviced?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by youryardbarbourllc, Jul 30, 2009.

1. youryardbarbourllc

youryardbarbourllc LawnSite Member
    from nj

Hey guys, i was curious how mos tof your keep track of the lawns that you have serviced and the date in order to write up there bill at the end of the month?

I have a log book i mark down who, when, what, where. Just curious how some of you other guys do it :)
  2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

With a computer program called Gopher.

Although Im switching next month to this: http://www.adkad.com/
  3. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

4. greeneyes

greeneyes LawnSite Member

I use a planner from Franklin Covey, 5 1/2", they're at any mall. Each day I record what we've done on the right page ( mileage, arrival and departure times) details if necessary. Usually only name of customer on mowing days, and add a note for whatever (saw Mrs. wants $ for pruning, etc). Write down calls in and out on left hand page, employee excuses (car trouble, overslept), or any other notes. Write down more than necessary, because in 2 wks you'll never remember the details. Or at least, I don't. Extra pages in back for random notes, business cards, envelopes for recpt's, cks, etc. Keeps everything in one place. When my guys work w/o me, I have a log book, fashioned to look like my right hand page of my planner. It's all there in one place.......I just better never lose it! I do all my billing from there. Works for me, but I'm a little, well, I used to be an accountant. Now it's a different story.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I too keep a mileage log. Mostly I just keep the mileage data in it but it is a record of where I've been. Sometimes I keep other info such as pet's names (that's nice to have if one of them get out), kid's names, any extra work I might have done that day. Stuff like that. I pretty much service the same exact lawns, on the same day of the week, week after week, year after year.
  6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

If you are asking a question on how to make invoices in order to collect your money, then it probably means you aren't tracking your expenses either.

Somebody suggested Gopher. Many others use Quickbooks (my choice). Not only do the monthly invoices roll off the printer easily with QB, but all the expenses are easily tracked along the way, and for end-of-year reporting (read == taxes). How can you be running your business without an orderly way of creating monthly invoices (and keeping expenses?)? Also, how do you track payments, insuring that all customers are current? How do you post checks against your log book?
  7. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

On a piece of paper I keep in the truck.
  8. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Same as Grandview. I also use an ink pen.
  9. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Quickbooks. Best thing I've bought for my business to date.
  10. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

I use groundskeeper. Lets you build up a routes database. I print the route by day of the week, put the date on top and give it to my foreman. He checks off the houses as they get done, and hands em in to me, I enter it in the comp.