1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Keeping track of quotes

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by gslam88, Mar 29, 2002.

1. gslam88

gslam88 LawnSite Member

I have a question for everyone. How do you keep track of your quotes for people? do you use the pad and just keep track or use something software based.

I am getting a little forget full and having add some new cusotmers and some tire kickers around latley I have forgotten one or two customers. Just wondering what everyone does....

Sometimers... an advanced stage of CRS... it aint fun

Pete :confused:
  2. anthony

anthony Guest

pete, i come form the old school...i still write on a spiral memo pad .it last for 2 yrs. and it works out fine for me.
  3. Merc145

Merc145 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I have been writing my quotes on business cards and then when they do call I ask them for the card to show my quote. I am not rude but I explain to them that I cannot keep up with all quotes because it may be 2 wks later when they call. I explain when I give them the "card quote" that they need to keep it for reference later.

4. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

I am sorry but it is your responsibility to keep track of the quote. We use computer software. What would you do if they call two years later after you have measured out the property?

Keep track of your quotes either in computer or file them in some discernable way so that you can reference them in the future.
  5. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Everyone is printed on NCR paper or 3 part nebs work order with 3rd being a Heavy card. Keep one copy in the office and file annually.

Also keep basic info in a contact database.
  6. Merc145

Merc145 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Where is it that it says you are responsible to keep track of all quotes. If someone were to call you 2 yrs later for the same quote and you gave it to them then you probably will be losing money due to increase in fuel, materials etc... Also if they did contact you 2rs later then they got your number somewhere like maybe the card you gave them? I am not saying that you do not keep a log of quotes but being responsible for quotes 2 yrs later is crazy useless data for tire kickers that is taking up space for no reason.
  7. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

Obviously you would not want to quote the same price if expenses have gone up...

What about vitals of the customer? Square Footage of Property? That is the information we keep including the price quoted in the past. The information is not useless it can serve a vital role to a multi-facited marketing plan. Especially considering how mobile our society is now. A high end property may transfer ownership....In addition to servicing the customer we also want to service as well as market the property through all transfers of ownerhip. To eliminate past quotes from future marketing efforts is only doing a disservice to yourself. It can also eliminate wasting any further time on the "tire kickers" should they call back. For all new quotes we do a search by last name as well as the address in our database before going out to the property. That way we can find out if they or a previous owner has contacted us, if we have quoted it, and the exact method of direct marketing used if that is the source of the contact.
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I use a 2part proposal pad. I give one to the potiential customer and have the other copy in my pad. I always know what I bid. You can get it from any office supply place.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Do the exact same thing as you Eric...works for me.
  10. most quotes we do are typed and sent on stationery, not all but a lot of them. Then I have a hard copy in file cabinet and a computer file in computer.......works for me