Keeping track of vehicle mileage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AboveTheCut, Feb 4, 2005.

1. AboveTheCut

AboveTheCut LawnSite Member

Does anyone out there have a handy spreadsheet or something (ie. log sheet) to help keep track of mileage, etc. for a truck that is used for both business and personal use. I'm trying to be better prepared next year at tax time. I thought I would check here before re-inventing the wheel and making my own. Thanks in advance.

brownwm@att.net

2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I use a legal pad for my mileage. Each sheet is a day. This is the easiest way to do it I have found. I keep track of time from the minute I leave the house until the second I pull back into my driveway. I keep track of miles driven and the odometer reading. Keeping track of the time as well helps me know how long everything takes from mowing to drive time in between places. If you want a spreadsheet you could have probably already made one with the time it took to write out this post.

3. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

I found a nifty little mileage program for my Palm Pilot ( I think I had to pay $5 off a download site). I keep track of all my clients on an Excel spreadsheet on the Palm pilot so this is kind of handy. The problem I have is maintaining the log.

Jeff

4. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

At most office supply stores they have a very inexpensive little book which is a vehicle mile log. I think it's less than a buck.

5. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

i'll post a spreadsheet when I get home later

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I just use a small notebook and write the mileage down each morning and at the end of the mowing day

7. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I should be running a computer in each truck with a database this year. The user being myself or the second truck can enter information throughout the day such as vehicle information, start and stop times on each lawn and so forth.

8. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I also use a little book I found at an office supply store. It traks odometer out and in. I think it costs less than a couple bucks.

9. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

Same here, I update on rainy days and the winter.

10. B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc LawnSite Member

We go to the office supply store and buy the mileage books. They are already laid out for you and only cost about $1.00-2.00.