Keeping track of work done the day you do it

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Jpeg lawn maintenance, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Jpeg lawn maintenance

Jpeg lawn maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys just wondering how you keep track of the stuff you do day to day like if you have 15 lawns how do you record it paper book ? just keep in your head just wondering trying to get some ideas so i can find an easier way.

2. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

Print a schedule from some kind of database, then carry it with you and mark up as you go. Also add comments so you can provide that info to the customer too as you invoice them.

3. Jpeg lawn maintenance

thank you that helps i wanna maybe make something on excel

4. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I buy a new planner at the start of every season. I believe the name is day one. I purchase the planner at Wal-mart. I put it in a 3 ring binder along with a list of all my customers information,business insurance,and business license. Every evening when I get home from mowing I write down which customers I worked for that day and who paid and who didn't. Its simple and at the end of every month I add up the total earned. My receipts are kept in a small folder and are labeled by the month. At the end of every mowing season these are taken to my accountant.

5. Jpeg lawn maintenance

That was very helpful but do you write anything throughout the day?

6. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

I use a notebook
    start of the week I write down everyone thats due for the week in columns for each day then circle them off AS I DO THEM mark thru them if I didnt do them
    Keep reciepts in the box with the notebook
    end of the week put it all in the computer
    end of the month bill out the invoices
    when bank statement comes in balance the computer with the bank statement just in case Ive lost a reciept
    During mowing season I run about 50 or so accounts
    Regardless of how many accounts you have you need to find a way to keep things straight
    This is what works for me it may or may not work for you

7. Jpeg lawn maintenance

i like the notebook idea you just write all your cutstomers down in a row or something check off what you did and is that alot of writing or no?

8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a binder with card stock cards for my mowing clients (see attachment). Any out-of-the-normal work gets written into a phone-pad with carbon paper. I leave both copies in the phone pad until the work is done, or billed, or whatever. Then I tear out the upper white copy. This way I still have the yellow record for reference, but it's easy for me to distinguish between what's done and what's not.

Attached Files:

9. Jpeg lawn maintenance

sounds good i dont know if that way would work for me tho not sure i quite understand

10. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I list every thing I do on this form and enter it on the computer at the end of the day. I also use a weekly calendar for schuduling. I do my schedule 2weeks in advance.